Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 68 580CK can’t find where the Tach cable goes

Briang ยท 2020-09-06 19:48

I have a 68 580ck with a 188d diesel. I has a shuttle shift. I removed my instrument panel yesterday and have been trying to trouble shoot some gauge issues. The Tach is toast the cable was cut off and it was seized in. I tried to turn the inside piece and it broke off in the tach. There is a bunch of rust floating around inside too. I started looking around the engine and I couldn't find any place for a cable to go on the engine. The generator has been removed and a alternator has been added. If the tach cable use to go to the generator is there any alternative for a Tach? Also my fuel gauge is not working I found that it was disconnected. I connected up the 12v line and the gauge went to full that was before I even connected up the sensor line. I have tried putting power on either post of the gauge and when I put 12v on one side it pegs to full but nothing happens when I ground the other terminal. when I switch posts it stays at empty whether I put 12v or ground. Am I looking at a bad gauge? I ohm'ed out the send and right now it is reading about 165 ohms I know I have about 6 gallons of fuel in the tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Mike@BlackCreek2020-09-08 04:44

    Amazon - Search Alternator Tach drive for Case 580 - $57

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-09-08 10:42

    The 188 diesel block had a tach drive in them depending on what year it was made. The early ones were driven off the back of the generator. Look for #22 on yours.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-09-08 10:44

    Welcome to HEF, Mike@BlackCreek !

  4. #4DarrenS142021-01-12 12:01

    I'm interested in this too. I checked Amazon and Ebay but no luck. I'll have to check my block tonight.

  5. #5Eric a1cnc2021-01-12 20:09

    I know there is a sensor you can put on one of the fuel lines if you want a tach but have no way to drive a mechanical one. I have 3 different 188 engines and only one has the spot on the side where a tachdrive could be but it is blanked off. I have the tach drive that would have gone on the generator but the back of my generator is solid. I know there is a sensor you can put on one of the fuel lines if you want a tach but have no way to drive a mechanical one.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-01-12 20:53

    Search for Tiny Tach for diesel engines.