I am working on a Case 680b. The seal on the brake shaft failed and needs to be replaced. I am wondering if it is possible to loosen the rear from the tractor frame, and slide it sideways allowing clearance to remove the brake surround housing/bearing support. Also is there any way to clean the contaminated brake disks of the oil? They are rare as hen's fangs, and I would like to salvage them if possible.
Hot water and Dawn detergent will clean them. A steam cleaner with detergent would be better. Loosening and or removing the differential can be very dangerous because they want to rotate until the pinion shaft points straight down. I never worked on a CK B with circular brake disks brakes in a housing like yours. Might be time to buy a service manual for it.
I have the manual. It does not state that the rear has to be pulled, but a you tube video shows that it does. I am wondering if the tractor frame has bosses to locate the rear side to side? Maybe it can be moved sideways just enough to let the housing clear. Thanks for the Dawn detergent idea. I was thining something much harsher like acetone or mineral spirits. Maybe brake cleaning aerosol.