I bought this machine from a friend of a friend's dad. It was on his old neighbors property and needed to be moved out of there. I went out and replaced a steering hose and got it started. It had been sitting for about 5 years. It went into gear and moved forward and back. I put in 10 gallons of tractor hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic tank. All the boom functions worked after adding oil. I drove it off the hill where it was with a buddy in a truck chained to it for brakes. Down on the flats we went to load it and it wouldn't climb up on the trailer. I then found the shuttle dipstick and pulled it. Really low fluid and milky white. I added some of the tractor hydraulic fluid and it drove up the ramp on the trailer. At home I unloaded it and parked it. A couple of days later I fired it up to drive it closer to my shop to work on it. It drove fine. I pulled the plug and drained the shuttle. Or so I thought. I got about 5 quarts of milky fluid out. I figured I would flush it a couple of times to try to clean the milky fluid out. I had about 3 gallons of Hy-Tran in a pail so I started adding that. I googled it and most everything said it takes 3 gallons in the shuttle and the 4 speed takes 90 weight. So as I was dumping the Hy-Tran in it kept getting full but wouldn't move in gear. Then i started seeing milky fluid coming out the top of the 4 speed shifter where the shift lever goes in and it still wouldn't move. It was getting dark and cold so I quit there. I haven't been back on it yet. Is the Hy-Tran to thick for this thing? Does the 4 speed share fluid with the shuttle? Or is it leaking between them? About every cylinder on this thing leaks so it will need a lot of work to get usable. Did I waste a bunch of money on 6 or 7 tons of scrap metal? And since everyone likes pictures I'll post a couple.
The shuttle does not share it's oil with the 4 speed gear box. The oil seal between the TQ and 4 speed is leaking in hy-trans is going into the 4 speed. HY-Trans or it's equivalent goes in the shuttle. To check the oil level---> with the engine running at idle speed, lock the brakes and put it in 4th gear. Put the shuttle shift lever into forward and then pull the dipstick and check it. If you don't drain the torque convertor along with the shuttle it will take many, many oil changes to get water free oil in it. The four speed requires 80W-90 or a similar gear oil. The tractor serial number is on a brass tag located on thr RH side of the steering column. The serial number you posted is for the backhoe attachment only.
Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured the shuttle/transmission seal was bad, but you confirmed it. I also wasn't sure if I could drain the torque converter oil. The lines going to the bottom of the radiator are oil lines right? Should be an oil cooler in there for shuttle?
Yes the shuttle cooler is in the radiator. The OEM convertor has a drain plug. Remove the sheet metal pan form the convertor housing to get access to it. The hydraulic oil cooler is the one in front of the radiator. If you remove the 4 speed transmission keep track of the where the 4 bolts go because they are not the same length. You will strip the threads in the adapter plate if one of the long bolts is put in the wrong hole.
Sounds like personal experience on the bolt length issue. Thanks for the heads up. Is the shuttle box the same for a long time or is it specific to 680C? I kinda looked for rebuild parts and most say for 680E. And a couple of pictures where my serial number should be
The serial number is on the aluminum tag in the image. I can get a you a link to the correct parts book if you can determine what it is. If you do in fact have a 680C, it is one of the earliest production runs of the C series. I can tell from the brake pedals and loader control lever. The shuttles are different in every 680 made.
Well sure enough I missed that one. Thanks for taking the time to help. I'll try to figure out what it says tomorrow
It says 680C. So now to figure out the next step.
It is the first production run of the 680CK-C series. Here is a link to the online parts book. CASE SERIES-C CONSTRUCTION KING LOADER BACKHOE (S/N 910600 TO 9111008) | CASE Construction | MyCNH US Store www.mycnhstore.com The service manual is serial number specific if you look to buy one. Just like the parts book is.