Hello all haven’t been active for a while , been busy with life. Have a two part question maybe the Pump Man might chime in on . I want to do valve adjustments probably never been done on this machine . The timing window that shows in the service manual above starter is no existent but found a plug below starter near bottom of bell housing . There is timing marks on it from 10-40 deg one way and other way 10 deg. Found a D stamped in there. I’m assuming that’s TDC? Just wanting to verify . Second question was when I rebuilt my injection pump and transferred my scribe to the new plate it must have been off a bit as when I did get machine to run with the pump plate and timing mark on machine lined up the machine ran really rough bellowing smoke and running way to rich I turned pump until it cleaned up and sounded the best . I’ve ran it like this all summer with no problems or overheat issues , I know it’s not ideal and could cause damage if timing was too far advanced etc. can I set the pump timing with the timing window and marks on the flywheel to the specific deg cslled for for this engine ?by turning the injection pump am I inturn adjusting the engine timing as well , kind of like turning a distributor on a gas engine, if that makes sense ? . Thanks for all the help fellas .
I understand all that but if my transferred scribe mark from original flex ring cage is off then the pump with new cage would be off on timing even if marks are aligned in window ? No ?
That question is out of my league. Thepumpguy will answer your question when he sees this. Remember the engine cannot be turned backwards to line up the timing mark on the flywheel if you go past it. The backlash in the gears can make a big difference in the accuracy of the timing.
Update , pulled tractor apart adjusted valve tappet clearances , I would say they never have been done in 49 years. Intake 012” exhaust 014” as per service manual . Inside of valve cover was in due of a good cleaning . The valves were so loose I probably could have stacked 3 feeler guages on top of each other . Put it back together ran tractor for a while it’s a lot quieter in the valve train but tractor was harder to start and seems to be running rich now . It is cold outside but let it run for 30 min high idle and than almost 2000 rpm for a bit exhaust is heavy blue didn’t seem that rich before , thinking maybe now if I line pump marks up it might be on or dam close . ? Any thoughts to valves making a difference and from my first post where if I had lined up pump marks after rebuild it was a smoke haze and barely ran.
It sounds like your pump may be timed 180 degrees out. Did you make sure the #1 cylinder was at the top of its compression stroke when you lined the flywheel marks up? Are you sure the smoke is blue and not white? Is the smoke steady from the exhaust or puffing?
I didn’t verify with timing marks on flywheel if I was tdc no 1 when I pulled pump and rebuilt it , been running it since I rebuilt it may of last year . I was told if both pump and mark on engine line up when pulling pump that’s tdc -1 , machine isn’t puffing smoke or loping just really rich blue haze like a cold diesel. Since adjusting valves . As for valves did exactly as book said . No 1 tdc than 360 a the other valves .
A bluish tint is usually oil burning
I don’t consume oil , or Smell oil burning , no it’s like a cold diesel it’s ripe and burns your eyes .
The line on ur weight cage is messing u up.. In order to set the timing correctly, the line on the cage HAS TO BE correct. & the only way to do that is with a special tool & the cage out of the pump.. If u would like to take it apart and send me the cage, I’d put a new mark on it for u.. just pay shipping back..
Exactly what’s happening, it needs to go on a deg wheel and get scribed . I will pull it just not sure when and I will send it if you’ll do that . I guess in the mean time to keep my tractor going I could take the old plate fight that dumb plastic ring on to it throw my weights back in the old cage and put it back together . Then I’d be back to factory mark . In the earlier post someone mentioned pump could be 180 deg out , is that even possible with the pump timing mark to be able to do ? And if so would this machine even run if it was ? Thanks for the help