Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 680C Steering Problem.

Tinkerer ยท 2013-05-17 14:22

My steering has developed a strange problem. When I am going down a street in a straight line and I have to turn slightly to the left to keep going in a straight line I have to turn the steering wheel two or three complete revolutions to keep going straight after I make the correction. If I don't turn the steering wheel the tractor will wander off to the left. I have checked the wheel toe in and it is ok. It isn't quite so bad when I turn to the right. I know absolutely nothing about the power steering unit under the dashboard. The pump is located on the front of the engine.

Replies26
  1. #1alrman2013-05-17 17:52

    That's a standard symptom of a piston seal gone in one of your cylinders. It is by-passing pressure & machine is trying to follow the camber of the road, hence the turning left to keep it straight

  2. #2Tinkerer2013-05-17 18:06

    Thanks for the info Alrman. That makes sense to me, because when I am on a rutted dirt road the goofy thing wants to wander even worse. Mostly to the left. I will be ordering a couple of seal kits.

  3. #3Tinkerer2013-05-31 06:56

    You were right again Alrman. I found a damaged piston ring in one of the cylinders. Case dealer wants over $70.00 for a new piston assembly. Does anyone sell aftermarket ones ? So far I haven't found one.

  4. #4robin yates uk2013-05-31 07:19

    Another problem solved ,,,,,,,,,,,,,:notworthy:drinkup

  5. #5alrman2013-05-31 07:21

    Is it an A56226? Can't say I've ever seen one Tinkerer, they seem unique to 680 & not that many round here. If I could see it I may be able to say..... you gotta learn to post pics! Have you taken a sample to a hydraulic seal supplier?

  6. #6Tinkerer2013-05-31 15:36

    Yes it is an A56226 piston. My camera isn't a very good one for closeups but here ya go Alrman ! As you can see the piston ring was damaged the last time some dummy (me) resealed the cylinder. Although Case had the foresight to put a small bell on the end of the barrel to facilitate the assembly, I somehow forced the piston and cut the ring. My bad. $70.00 down the proverbial drain. I hadn't thought about going to hydraulic place for a new ring. Thanks.

  7. #7alrman2013-06-01 01:39

    There's no reason you won't find something to do the job. Occasionally there are things that are specially made for OE use. Weird sizing that no one else uses. Picture is not very clear so I can't really see it's profile, would have to be double acting. Good to see your computer skills improving :thumbsup

  8. #8Tinkerer2013-06-01 09:09

    The piston ring has a square profile. It also has a standard "O" ring under it. I don't know how the piston ring is installed. It has absolutely no stretching ability. It seems like it would break if it were expanded like a normal piston ring. It is a continuous piece , like an regular "O" ring.

  9. #9alrman2013-06-01 18:07

    They are a little tricky to deal with, but the Case part wasn't made with the seal IN it. It had to be fitted..... If you can get one, drop the seal into some hot water, this will make it a little more flexible, & using a thin tool - seal pick, not a screwdriver - stretch it over the piston & into the groove. It will look like it will never retract enough to work again, but they tell me those materials they are made from, have a 'memory' & they do seem to work just fine. Fit a piston ring compressor or even a hose clamp over the seal when fitted & leave it on till seconds before you fit the rod to the cylinder. Use lots of Lube! (petroleum jelly)

  10. #10niamh072016-04-19 14:44

    Hi there - I'm a newbie and my OH (who spends every moment with our beloved Case 830 (1964 ish) inherited tractor) its a love/ hate relationship. I need a A56226 piston assembly (or more accurately the square profile ring and o-ring bits) but our local dealer says you can't get them any more - I was wondering where you had gotten yours' from please - many thanks and have a great day

  11. #11niamh072016-04-19 14:46

    Hi there - I'm a newbie and my OH (who spends every moment with our beloved Case 830 (1964 ish) inherited tractor) its a love/ hate relationship. I need a A56226 piston assembly (or more accurately the square profile ring and o-ring bits) but our local dealer says you can't get them any more - I was wondering where you had gotten yours' from please - many thanks and have a great day

  12. #12Tinkerer2016-04-20 06:22

    The Case CNH dealer near me was able to get them. A google search found one here for $63.00 ----> http://valleytrucksalvageinc.com/misc/

  13. #13niamh072016-04-21 09:53

    Many thanks for your reply - are you able to tell me your dealer then I can them phone them - sorry if the questions a bit thick I'm not too good with computers in the first place and also suffer from first time forum syndrome - thanks again and have a great day

  14. #14mikebramel2016-04-21 10:10

    If you send me the height and seal ID (groove size) I can probably look it up for you

  15. #15niamh072016-04-21 10:33

    hello there - many thanks - much beloved says 1.75inch outer, 1.5inch inner and 0.125inch thick if that makes sense. I took a picture so I hope you can see it OK - much beloved is just wanting the seal bit in the picture - you can see its somewhat cracked and pitted - tinkerer above has posted a picture of the whole piston assembly case number A56226 but much beloved says that the rest of its OK its just the seal - thanks again

  16. #16Tinkerer2016-04-21 19:37

    Niamh; Ask you local Case CNH dealer to look that piston assembly up in their CONSTRUCTION CATALOG. It is quite possible they don't show it in the agriculture equipment catalog but, it may still be available in the other on-line parts book they use.

  17. #17niamh072016-04-21 19:52

    many thanks for that I will tell the much beloved - he's in town regular

  18. #18TheRedoubt19422020-06-08 12:58

    Hello Tinkerer . Back in May 31 of 2013 you were looking for a "Piston Assembly" for a hydraulic cylinder on your 680C steering and you said you found one at a dealer for $70.00 . Did you ever find one after market ? Was the part number for "Case" ---- A56226 ? Mac McGrail in Virginia at [email protected]

  19. #19Tinkerer2020-06-08 13:42

    Hi Mac ! No, I never found one, aftermarket. Yes, the same as your part number. mikebramel may be able to help you. I'm sure he will read this post before long. I am resealing both glands in my own 680C. The piston rings are fine I'm just resealing the glands. Bulldog has the kit available for them. I can post the part number if you need it.

  20. #20TheRedoubt19422020-06-08 16:30

    Hi , again , Tinkerer, Were/are you getting "blow by around the rings ? Is the "Gland Assembly - complete ( A23973 ) that "Bulldog" has access to ? If so ( since I'm taking it apart any way ) I would love to have a contact number or "E" mail for "Bulldog" , please . Thought I was ready to go until I drove it down the hill to my house and left a trail a blind man could follow of hydro oil . I guess it sat still in one position for so many years it took actually moving it to see the leak . I'm also looking for a "fuel filter Head Assembly " ( A62339 ) if you have any ideas on that I would appreciate it . My broke of where it bolts to the block . Still usable because I "jury-rigged" a support for it . Look forward to hearing back from you . If "MIKE BRAMEL" is reading I'd appreciate a contact like Tinkerer suggested , please . Getting rev'ed up to start fixing 15 years of neglected ditches ( about a mile worth ) on my place . Thanks , in advance guy's ! Every body stay healthy out there ! Mac McGrail

  21. #21TheRedoubt19422020-06-08 16:43

    Hi , once more , Tinkerer , Are you still using your 680C a lot ? What kind of fuel usage per a four ( 4 ) hour stint of work with mine should I expect ? "Old Goat" has to watch my money these days . Trying to figure a budget amount for it . What ever it is it will be less expensive than hiring some one here . I couldn't even afford to live where I am if I had to buy it today . I bought my first 50 acres here for $15,300.00 ( 55 years ago ) and the lady that sold it to me financed the whole amount for 15 years . paid it off and bought another 32 from her and paid that off before I built my small ( 960 sq.ft. ) house on it . Took me three years to build because I'd build until I ran out of money --- save for a while more --- build some more --- save some more , etc.. At least it's all paid for and the tax's are cheap because I get a break for having it in "timber management . Look forward to hearing back . Mac McGrail

  22. #22melben2020-06-08 17:49
  23. #23Tinkerer2020-06-08 19:25

    Hi Mac ; Do a google search for --->Case A36396 hydraulic cylinder seal kit and you will find quite few vendors selling them. My go to guy is Dale Weiss at --> http://e-backhoeparts.com/ He may have that filter head you mentioned. He has a boneyard at his old dealership. Call him. Bulldog and Hercules are popular aftermarket sources for hydraulic seal kits for hundreds of different applications. You made some really good investments over the years. Awesome ! You will find your 680 will use very little fuel if the motor is tight and the injection pump and injectors are in good condition. In 4 hours -- maybe 2 gallons. I have no need nor reason to push my machine very hard. Those fast paced days ended when I retired 15 years ago.

  24. #24TheRedoubt19422020-06-08 19:42

    Hello Tinkerer , again , My daughter keeps telling me I should retire because I'm rich because I have the property . I tel her --- the last time I looked those green things up in the trees were leaves not dollars . She says --- well you could sell the place and go any where you wanted to . I tell her --- I am where I want to be . This is home . Then I tell her --- I won't even be cold in my grave yet when she sells this place and she will be rich . I'll be buried here next to my dogs and she can't sell the burial plot ! I'll lay where I've lived all my life since I bought it . In a trailer first then a motor home then my small but nice house and then my grave right here . Got a good women lives with me and I'm leaving her a "life estate" on the two acres the house sits on and she can be buried here also if she wants to . Found a seal kit here about 68 miles from me an hour ago . I'm going to contact Dale Weiss like you suggested tomorrow though for some other small stuff . Stay safe and well my friend . Mac McGrail

  25. #25Tinkerer2020-06-08 20:04

    You are a rich man in more ways than one. In Illinois it is illegal to be buried anywhere other than a cemetery. The alternative is being cremated and then spreading the ashes where they want to be. I have a small creek on my small farm and unknown to me, some guy that I knew was sprinkled by it (the creek). His name was Delmer and the spreader's name was Jerry. Best buddies to each other. But not to me. I was very unhappy about it but did nothing about it.

  26. #26TheRedoubt19422020-06-08 20:41

    You are obviously a decent person to let the matter rest with the guys that scattered on your place . It's illegal here in Virginia as well to bury some one on just any piece of property . How ever I'm being cremated and the ashes are what is being buried in a traditional inexpensive urn that will have three 80 pound bags of concrete poured over it about 3' under ground . Got the stone all ready with the inscription I want . Every thing but the date . Have a small trust set up to care for the burial site in perpetuity . Al bought and paid for . The cremation folks even come get me and send me back UPS . No muss no fuss ! I am not having any thing put in the obituary of the news paper either . I'm so far back in the mountain any way so nobody will ever know the difference except people I want to know . I have $1,500.00 in my will for a party by my pond for my friends with a cook out and music to be held no sooner than three days after I'm down . Folks can fish or swim or hunt ---what ever they want . That's the way I've lived my whole life . That's the way I want people to remember me . Best to you my friend . Mac McGrail