Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 680CK B serial year?

MikeMcDigg ยท 2011-07-17 13:18

I bought a new (old) Case 680CK B backhoe. The seller (who never had it long) told me it was a 1975. I ordered a shop manual and am beginning to think this machine is possibly a very late 60's or possibly 1970. Does anyone know how I can tell, maybe via the serial # ?

Replies9
  1. #1Tinkerer2011-07-17 15:37

    I own a 680C (1974) and have not found anywhere to determine the year of manufacture by using the serial number. But there are ways to determine closely the year of mfg. Such as what kind (gas or diesel) and size is the engine. Does it have air brakes or mechanical ? Quite a few changes were made to the tractor from the earliest to the last of the 680 series tractors. You say you ordered a shop manual for it. How did you know which one to order ? Did you use your tractor serial number ? If you prefer to not post the serial number in the public forum, PM it to me and I will do a little research on it. Actually I never heard of a 680CK B model. That is why the serial number is needed.

  2. #2digger242j2011-07-17 16:15

    It's not like cars and trucks where the year is that important anyway. The series might run for any number of years, and there can be small changes within a series, which makes knowing the serial number important, especially when ordering some parts. The actual year, not so much. Some of the listings here include a year: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=CASE&MDLGrp=680 Both the 62 and the 72 listed bear a resblence to yours. We bought a "G", new in 79. The "E" preceeded that, and one of the listings in the link above shows an E and says it's a 75... :beatsme

  3. #3Tinkerer2011-07-17 21:06

    My 1974 680C is one of the last made in the C model. The 1975 E model is basically the same tractor with the exception of a completely different enclosed cab.

  4. #4bradley joe2011-07-17 22:41

    that is not a 1975 you mite want go back a few more years still looks like a good hoe if it runs and digs you cant nock it case made good stuff . I have 580c 1976 and it does not look like yours

  5. #5MikeMcDigg2011-07-18 19:23

    Sorry for the late reply - power was off for a day here due to wacky weather. Tinkerer, the shop manual I ordered covers the B and C series 680 ck. The serial # for mine falls in the "B" series range but nowhere does the book mention production years. This machine has the Case A267 c.i. diesel engine and hydraulic brakes. Digger, I agree, the year isn't really important - I mean the machine is 35 years and likely + some. It runs nice and is strong as an ox - but very heavy and oddly enough, offers no diff. lock. Tinkerer I'll pm you the sn if you want to see if you can determine the year. I'm just curious. The guy I bought it from was so sure it was a 75 and I just assumed it was until I began to research the machine a bit more. Anyway, Thanks for the replies. I'm in the process of sprucing the big, ole Gurl up w/ a bunch of new hoses, fluids, filters, lights, wiring, glass and fresh paint. Another 'before' view | | v

  6. #6Tinkerer2011-07-19 07:33

    Mike, I read your PM with the serial number. I can't tell you what year the machine was made. But I can tell you that the serial number is within the third the revision of the 680 model. It is in fact a 680CK B. You can find that information on the Case website that has the parts listings. You can estimate the year of manufacture from the shop repair manual. Only if it is a genuine Case manual and is correct for you machine. The manuals are serial number specific. Inside the manual you will see the date it was printed. That would be the year of the first tractor made or very near to it. Ignore the revision dates that may or may not be included in the manual.

  7. #7MikeMcDigg2011-07-19 13:45

    Thanks Tinkerer. The manual is a reprint and covers a very broad range of serial #'s, of which mine fits in. Still very useful, but doesn't tell me the year. It's really not important to me as it seems to be a good machine - I'd just like to know s'all.

  8. #8AL_ALAN2011-12-01 08:13

    Case 680 ck Well as for the year,it looks like a carbon copy of mine.i mean everything,ive had mine for about 5 years and i have done quite a bit of work on it,,my 680 ck b is a 1970 i have the registration for it and the time and money this machine has saved me is quite subtantial thanks al

  9. #9MikeMcDigg2011-12-05 06:29

    Thanks Al. I think mine is likely around that vintage too. I haven't worked her too much yet. I hope to get to that next year.