I've been looking at an old 580BCK since April. My son sold out a junk yard, and the gent he sold all of the scrap to brought in an old 580B to be used in loading same. He had bought the hing locally,paid $1600 for scrap, and delivered for my son to use in the loading process. He told us that when he was through with it there, we could purchase it for $2K. This old gal is in terrible shape. The hood and grille are missing, the back glass in the cab is gone, the engine has to be started by shorting across the solenoid etc etc. etc. Probably the biggest fault is there is a crack in the block on the left side the drips water constantly, uses about a gallon a day, whether it's running or not. I'm in Fl. I'll probably remove the rest of the glass, except maybe the windshield, to get a little more airflow. I don't need to put antifreeze in it, so if stop leak won't fo the trick, a little JB weld might work, if not, I'll just add water (there is no water in the oil). Not much power, doubt if you could scoop up a bucket of dirt, but I want if for digging about 100 stumps, so If the bh works OK, thats fine with me. All the hydraulics work, I've watched my son load scrap with it for 3 months, and other than a couple of broken hoses, and cylinder seal leaks it certainly looks like it's worth 2K to me. I'm figuring on spending about 1K on seals and hoses, fixing them as they fail. Hoping that I can get my stumps dug befoe the slop in the swing tower etc. puts me out of business. Anybody got any sugggestions?
Any way you could post some pictures?
hello i had a 580b for 6 years and worked ona few more if ican help let me know
Thought I was gonna bring this thing home today, but the owner turned 50 and his wife surprised him with an out of town trip over the weekend, still have a couple of vehicles to load out of the junk scenario, so maybe next weekend. As soon as I get it, I'll pst pictures, and of course ask a million questions. I've been reading here, and copying info since April, so have lots of paper to look at. I'm going to purchase a parts manual and a repair manual off ebay as soon as the deal is finalized and it belongs to me.
Why don't you try liquid glass I say it's worth a try! http://www.ehow.com/about_6550447_sodium-silicate-sealing-engine-block.html