Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 680E shuttle piston seals

Auslock ยท 2020-12-07 15:58

Hi guys I purchased a 680E a few months ago knowing it had forward drive problems. Reverse was good. After discussing this with a tractor guru he said he believed it was the forward clutch. After pulling the shuttle and gearbox out it turned out he was right. The forward clutch was shot and worn down to metal damaging the forward piston and shuttle pressure plate. Chasing parts has been a major problem in Aus even through CASE. Anyway back to my question. The original seals fitted to the piston and driven plate are soft seals. The seals supplied by CASE (at considerable expense) are steel. The inner diameter seal A14832 will take the steel seal but the outer seal A14831 groove is not deep enough and will only fit the original soft seal. My question is, would it be better to go with the steel seals and machine the outer seal grove to accept the steel seal or just stay with the soft seals. Auslock

Replies9
  1. #1alrman2020-12-07 17:29

    I wouldn't think you should need to modify the piston to fit the correct seal. I think you may have ordered or been supplied the wrong part. The CNHI parts listing shows different part number piston seals depending on transmission serial number - pre 75001 or after. - Not 100% certain, but my guess is that you need the other seals D66384 & D66414.

  2. #2Auslock2020-12-07 18:12

    I did quote the serial number for the BH when I ordered the seals through CASE and identified on the parts pages they provided. Once I had the shuttle out I found the serial number 76642 and gave that to them. When I saw the steel seals I thought this may have been an upgrade or modification because there are other steel seals used on the shuttle clutch end covers.

  3. #3alrman2020-12-07 21:08

    According to that transmission serial number you do have the wrong seals. The diagrams look very similar just different part numbers on a few items. If only parts interpreters could actually follow the instructions on a parts diagram & interpret what they are looking at.....

  4. #4Auslock2020-12-07 22:35

    So, just out of interest (and when I try and sell to recover some of the cost) are the steel type of seal from an earlier or later model?

  5. #5alrman2020-12-08 00:45

    The steel seal will be the early one, you have the later series - but I don't think it will really matter as to the value of the machine. ..... Apart from the fact you have repaired the shuttle.

  6. #6Auslock2020-12-08 01:20

    Thanks alrman. I'm just waiting on the 2 large dia seals then reassembly begins. This what I found when I stripped the shuttle. I had to manufacture a new piston as I couldn't find a replacement. Not sure if I did the right thing but increased the thickness of the piston to make up for the damage to the main body. Only a few mil but wanted to keep the same travel distance.

  7. #7stinky642020-12-08 01:28

    I think he's talking about selling the seals, not the machine...Why would a guy want to sell a perfectly good backhoe

  8. #8DaveA2020-12-08 20:38

    try this number for parts. I used them for a warner gear shuttle. the parts are hard to find P: 800-321-9983 x131 F: 330-342-3895 [email protected] | [B2B.Joseph.com]B2B.Joseph.com

  9. #9Auslock2020-12-08 22:26

    Thanks DaveA CASE were able to supply the soft seals in US stock, It's just that they supplied the steel ones which turns out are for an earlier model.