Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 750k bulldozer won’t turn off

Rickey Lee · 2020-12-12 14:43

Ok, first I want to say this is my first post. I have read tons of post and answers and have used it for some of my problems in the past. My hat goes off to GaryHoff he has helped me and doesn’t know it. Also, many others. Here is my new problem on my Case 750k series 3 dozer. It will not shut off with the key. It first started acting up once in a while. But know it likes to stay running with the key off. Until yesterday giving it throttle to stop it. I know that probably not the best idea, but it worked. Yesterday I tried a few things, switched relays, put a meter on wire going to injection pump. Got 11.3 volts with key on. something going on there. Battery was fully charged. I tapped on the top of injector pump at I think return line. Dozer shut off. Did this several times same result. Thinking shut off solenoid. Don’t know exactly where it’s at. Thanks for taking time to read this. Dozer works fine, please advise

Replies15
  1. #1spark2020-12-14 07:58

    check for shorted blocking diode on alternator

  2. #2thepumpguysc2020-12-14 09:34

    If it’s a RoosaMaster/Stanadyne pump, the solenoid is in the top cover.. should have a hot wire on 1 side & a self ground / ground strap on the other. Remove the return connector on the top cover & look thru it, it should have a glass ball in it.. If it’s knocked out, there’s the problem.. Someone has knocked it out to mask a bigger problem.. More than likely, the solenoid is full of metal from the weight retainer smashing into itself.. Remove the top cover if u can.. It’s just 3 screws BUT.. they r probably tamper proof.?? You’ll do more damage to the pump trying to get them out, than if u just pull the pump.. Lemme know if I can help..

  3. #3alrman2020-12-14 14:37

    Welcome to HEF @Rickey Lee I would disconnect the power wire at the shut off solenoid at the injector pump - while trying to shut it down. If it shuts down, there is a problem with electrics, if it continues to run, there is a problem with the solenoid. Below is the correct pump & shut off location.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2020-12-14 16:49

    Ahhh, it’s a VE pump..

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-12-14 22:27

    Welcome to HEF, Ricky !

  6. #6thepumpguysc2020-12-15 00:17

    On some mdl of VE pumps there’s a manual shut off lever.. it’s located on one side or the other on the top cover. Usually on the side facing u. But the smartest thing to do is disconnect the wire going to the solenoid.. If it stays running u know u gotta pump problem..

  7. #7Rickey Lee2020-12-21 14:10

    Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply. I broke my phone and just got a new one. (Only way I can get on internet) I will be at location of dozer tomorrow and try disconnecting shut off solenoid while shutting down. Didn’t see any manual shut off. I will take a picture and try to up load it. Looks to be a brown wire on schematic. I remember a wire on top that can be removed after removal of nut. Orange wire on bottom that can be unplugged. Last time I was there as soon as I started it, i shut it down with key, did it a couple times. But, after running it for awhile same issue, had to tap on return line on pump to stop it. Thanks

  8. #8Rickey Lee2020-12-24 10:23
  9. #9Rickey Lee2020-12-24 10:57

    Sorry, I didn’t get a chance to get to dozer location til just before dark last night. I took a few pictures. There is two wires I believe to be brown. One is near the top and above injection lines close to motor. Can almost touch it and afraid can’t get it back on if removed. Have to remove dip stick and possibly oil fill tube. Don’t want to remove oil fill tube at oil pan. In top two pic is this the manual shut down. Push to engage? 3rd pic is second wire disconnect and there is a orange plug wire below. Last pic is picture of pump. Do I need to remove both wire connections to test? Which pump is this? If I kill main power after shut down would this be same as removing wires? Thanks and to all a Merry Christmas

  10. #10thepumpguysc2020-12-24 11:09

    The 1st pic is a tamper proof cap on the max fuel screw.. The 2nd IS the shut down solenoid.. & by the looks at the connector, that might b a problem.. 3rd pic is the COLD START solenoid & light load solenoid.. They have a tendency to explode internally & not allow the engine to shut down.. DO NOT TOUCH. Looking at the last pic... yours doesn’t have a manual shut off.. Try to get to the solenoid in the 2nd pic.. remove it & clean up the contact area & reinstall.. U could say to hell w it & buy a new one..?? (Shut down solenoid)

  11. #11Rickey Lee2020-12-28 09:54

    Just now able to get back online. We got hit with storm and lost power since Thursday. Was a cold Christmas getting down to 10 at night. When weather permits will somehow try and remove wire at solenoid and see if dozer shuts down. I put meter on it with key on and it has 11.8 volts, key off .02 volts. Should have tested it with it running. Will do that. So when no power solenoid closes? Will clean wire contact. If still runs with wire disconnected can shutoff solenoid be removed without removing anything else ? If so how to test it ? Thanks

  12. #12thepumpguysc2020-12-28 10:04

    The solenoid CAN b removed without removing anything else.. Under the body is a plunger & tiny spring.. DONT LOSE THEM.!! To test, use a battery charger.. Clamp + to the top & touch - to the body.. keep in mind, if it’s working properly, the plunger WILL SNAP up in the solenoid body.. & when u take either clamp away, it IS going to let go under spring pressure.. So watch out for flying parts..!!!

  13. #13alrman2021-01-03 01:22

    This machine wouldn't have a turbo timer fitted to it by any chance would it?

  14. #14Rickey Lee2021-01-04 12:27

    Cleaned connection on solenoid,13.8 volts while running, 1.8 volts running with key off and battery light on dash is on. Cleaned key switch contacts and tested with volt meter. I unplugged key switch while running and it shut off. But, it was idling for quite a while. Started again, removed wire to solenoid while running, kept running. It will shut off with key while motor is cold, but at operating temp won’t. I don’t know if it has a turbo timer but was wondering if it had a shut down timer (maybe same). Can’t get a wrench on solenoid, without removing IP lines and IP mounting bracket, pump. Does anyone know if they make a distributor wrench and size for removing the solenoid? Only way I see how to remove. Don’t know anything about IP. Will start and run all day with no issues. Just doesn’t want to stop when I do. Have to gently tap top of return line area with hammer. Haven’t tried squeezing 1/4” return line to stop. Dealer says $150+for shut down solenoid, almost went and got it till I seen I can’t remove it. Any other ideas or sources greatly appreciated

  15. #15thepumpguysc2021-01-04 16:18

    Inorder to get a 15/16” wrench around it, ya gotta disconnect the throttle linkage off the bracket.. You might even have to disconnect it from the IP lever too.. The solenoid is actually metric.. Just grind down the outside of the closed end on the wrench.. Ya might even fit the open end on the solenoid & give it a bump.. I hate to say it but I’m thinking u got internal pump problems.. Don’t go spending 150.00 on a part you probably don’t need.. I’ve got a handful of’m..