Hello, Our ranch has an older cat d5b dozer, probably a late 70s or so, that has the 3 speed power shift transmission. The right side of shifting lever has neutral, and then the 3 forward speeds. When in neutral, you slide the shifting lever over to the left app. 4 inches and then you lower the lever to get your 3 reverse speeds. I was operating the machine Thursday, and it started out fine, but then no matter which side I moved the shifting lever to, left or right, forward or reverse, when I lowered to the 1st or second gear, the dozer went in reverse. It went to neutral fine, but when I shifted to forward, or reverse side, it went in reverse. Just wanted to see if there was something simpler I could check such as linkage, or lever connection, before I called a diesel mechanic. Thanks for your replies !
Pull the floor plate up and have a look at the control linkages for the transmission. There will be two of them. One for F/R, the other for speeds 1/2/3. The first illustration is looking from the front of the tractor backwards, the second is looking from the right side towards the left.
The forward and reverse have very little travel check all you rod ends for wear also the bushing in the transmission wears where the shaft goes through pull floor board and move shifter forward to reverse and see where you have lost motion it don't take much you can also manually move lever at trans shift lever to Forward and hold it then bump the lever in the direction it moves for forward if it goes in you have too much lost motion in linkage
thanks for your help!! i plan on checking this out.
thanks for your reply !!! i do appreciate it.
thanks for the replies !!
I appreciate the replies , and the diagrams that were posted. I had a bolt loose that went into the reverser. Machine is working normally.