Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 821c Transmission issues

partsandservice · 2019-05-18 12:20

I have an 821C that will only engage and move in 4th Forward. trans system pressure is with in spec. i have the following codes: 46062 output speed zero, does not match other speeds 61900 1700 psi brake pressure switch has not cycled with in 50 hours of operation. 46147 open circuit at reverse alarm relay, I have checked for continuity and load tested all wires from TCU to control valve plug. i get 0 psi at any of the pressure test ports for the individual clutch except at the K4 port when in 4th gear. My service manual mentions limp home modes 115, 215, and 315 but i can not find ant further information as to what gear each limp mode would allow. i am wondering if the Brake switch issue could be causing a limp mode. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-05-18 20:11

    Check your speed sensor and your turbine speed sensors one or both of them are bad.

  2. #2partsandservice2019-05-19 10:40

    Thanks Coy, I will check that out. I had on blinders and was only assuming the zero output speed was just because the transmission was not enguaging to make the output turn.

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2019-05-19 20:38

    Those speed sensors are high ohm so set meter accordingly. Also there are shins on sensors for spacing be sure and not loose them, they should stick with sensor.

  4. #4partsandservice2019-05-20 22:19

    Today I removed all four speed sensors and they checked out. This transmission does not have shims on any the sensors . Also checked the wires to sensors. The engine , turbine and intermediate shaft share a common return . The output sensor is a three wire sensor. Anyway , I pulled the valve body and found the screens stopped up completely with gunk. Looks like ground up paper probably clutch material? And some pieces of yellow plastic. I have been inside these transmission s before and can't place this plastic. Thought I took a picture but guess not . Will post pics in the morning. Disassembled valve and cleaned out and ordered new gaskets and screens(6). The gunk looks just like what tenwheeler posted in his jcb ZF thread below.

  5. #5partsandservice2019-05-21 09:49

    Here is the plastics and debri I found in the control valve. Where did the plastic come from??

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2019-05-21 13:16

    That plastic looks familiar but I can’t place it. Did you drain oil and if so was there any contamination in it?

  7. #7Bigbert2019-05-21 14:48

    We are talking about a ZF 4WG210 transmission? The plastic looks like some housing sealing stuff. There is no further similar plastic in t/m. I'm not familiar with the Case fault codes nor do I have a Case manual. Could possibly translate to ZF codes. The sensors do not need shims. The 46062 fault is an issue on 3 wire output speed sensor. Check cables, connector, sensor. The loader will not move reverse either? For limp home mode you usually need two failed sensors or a short or open circuit on clutch solenoids or slippage codes.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2019-05-21 14:59

    My Apologies I was thinking "B" series machines. Sense you only have 4th gear you won't have reverse because there is no 4th reverse. Are you at the machine, and do you know how to find the fault codes in inst. cluster?

  9. #9partsandservice2019-05-21 19:12

    Yes 4wg210 It does not have reverse , the screen related to the K4 solonoid was not stopped up with this junk. I have not drained the oil yet, but that is the next step. I have already disassembled the valve body and cleaned . I will change the oil and filter and reinstall the valve body as soon as I get the new gaskets and screens in an attempt to kick the can on down the road. I believe I am getting the 46062 code because there is no out put shaft movement because no oil is getting to the clutch pistons. All the coils ohm the same, can't remember the number maybe 21 ohms. I have rechecked the ohm reading with direct access to the coils with the valve body off. I had previously ohmed each coil from the connector at TCU, this is when I also load checked all the wires through the from TCU to valve body connector through the floor connector. Sorry if I have repeated my self. Yes I know how to how to access the codes. It is different from any thing with the group numbers starting with 71 and 72 with the hour log and so forth. This is my machine and it is at my shop so can easily get to it.

  10. #10partsandservice2019-05-21 19:28

    She is a beast when she moves. It is a 821C , not sure why it has 821B on the boom decal. This is the serial plate. 2500 hours bought it used and has worked well till now.

  11. #11partsandservice2019-05-21 19:37

    My valve looked just like this one.