I own a Case 850 B TL with the 336 turbo. It died and spun a bearing and ruined the block. To rebuild myself will cost 4 K with no assurances. To get a reman is $7100 and have not been able to find a used one for less then $3500, without any warrant or oil analysis. The rest of the machine is in great shape. However I don't think it warrants spending $7100 on. So I was thinking a retro fit. but I can't think of a alternative. I have searched the Internet, talked to a case parts dept. all to no avail. The later 850's have the 5.9 cummins but the bell crank and length are different. Basically all the engine does is run the pumps. It is the pumps that do everything. So ANY ideas. Thanking you in advance Dave
contact Jim at [email protected] They have repaired several spun main bearing blocks for me over the years. prices were always reasonable. Hope this helps, Terry
Its been a while since I have worked on early 850s. If I recall the C had the 4BT then the D went to the 6B then later D had the 6BT. Just thinking out loud here , I wonder if the 4bt out of a C would match up better than the 6bt , due to length bell housing etc. I know there is a guy on here Alarman I think from down under. That dude know his case stuff. A little cummins repower would be nice due to availability of off the shelf parts. If this pans out , please take time to take pics from start to finish, I as well as the guys here would love to see that happen.
The 850B and C ran the 336BD/BDT engine, the D had the 6-590/6T-590. They made a 650 dozer that had the 4-390 at 80hp but weighed 500-1,000 lbs lighter than a 850. I would try to go back with a 336 engine do to the work in retro fitting a different engine, you can also us a NA engine rather than a turbo. Your B is 75-80hp and the later C/D were 82-85hp. Trying to stuff a different engine in that would be a pain and cost more than finding a take out running and going with it. There are several machines that used that engine in both farm and construction equipment also that may help in locating a donor engine.
Any agricultural salvage yard should have a 336 used or rebuilt. The Case 301 Turbo and Non Turbo is the same block as the 336.
The 336 might be difficult to find. Pretty limited number of tractors used them. 680E, 680G backhoes, 880B and 880C excavators as well. Definitely less possibilities than finding a good 504. If it was mine, I'd slip a 4BT into it. Light years more advanced, way better engine. We put a 6BT into an 1150C dozer. All we really had to change was extend the shroud back to the fan.
This savage yard has 10 tractors in their inventor that have or had 336 engines in them. http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/category-s/53237.htm There are many more Case agriculural machines that used that engine. The Model 870 diesel is the first that came to my mind.
Thanks so far for the ideas I appreciate them, keep them coming! I guess I should give a little more info on me and the Machine. I own a farm and I'm retired from the rat race which I collect a pension from. The loader is used around the farm to maintain roads knock trees down for firewood and anything else that requires such things. I could go out and rent a machine when I need it but that is a PITA and waste of money. Skill wise--- In the past I've converted a gas dump truck to a diesel, took a 2 wheel P/U and made it 4 wheel. I can do body work, have R&R quarter panels. I have lathes, welders, torches etc. that I know how to use. Now about some of the ideas. I don't know how familiar you are with the 336 ( wish I had researched more before I bought it, had a case 450 and engines where a dime a dozen so I thought 850's would be similar. Nope) The Achilles heel of the case machines with the 336 is the 336 mainly the oil pump which is rather pricey and the cylinder sleeves which break loose. Apparently when the oil pump goes it goes all at once spinning bearings. The 880's and w14 can be refitted with the 5.9 without much trouble. The 680, 780 and the 870 not sure about. I have thought about the 4bt, however, I'm not sure how to hook it up to the torque converter. Make adapter plates with coupler? Also having a Cummings in it would probably make it more saleable. I have looked into having the blocked welded but it cost about $ 600 and I can get a brand new one for $ 1100. As far as a used one , as I stated in my original post I have not found one for less then $ 3500 with no guarantee he wouldn't do an oil analysis and he lived 400 miles from me. Right now there is one on ebay for 3750 I called him no warranty, no oil analysis, can't hear it run, told me to go somewhere else and hung up on me. Another place wanted 4750 for a used one and what do you get another ticking time bomb. As far as buying a newer 850, the first model with a Cummings is the D and they are going for the mid to high teens. I'd rather spend a little less and buy a Cat 951C. Anyway thanks and let us keep on thinking.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/hvo/4874568905.html How about this bad ride for 7500$ asking price. Complete running machine , I think. May be worth looking into.
If I remember correctly, to bolt the torque to the engine on our 1150, we ordered the engine with the correct bell housing, SAE #1 I believe? It was almost 20 yrs ago. Then, we took the flywheel off the 6BT and the flex plates to a machine shop and they drilled holes to match. I don't remember what flywheel we had to order, but the whole situation wasn't that expensive to solve. The hardest part is connecting the flex plate to the flywheel or torque. We had to make line up studs with a screwdriver slot in the end, and remove them one at a time thru a hole in front of flywheel housing and then put bolt in.
An oil pump failure would be an unusual thing. Low oil level maybe would cause one to go. Mechanical failure would be rare, unless the pump had been removed and the shims that set the gear backlash were improperly replaced or not at all. I have never heard of a properly installed sleeve break loose. Unless it was the wrong sleeve or the protrusion wasn't correct when it was installed.
When a bearing spun in your 850 did you have oil pressure? I'm asking I have a low knock doesn't sound like bearing really and still has good oil pressure
The low knock you hear could be the engine oil pump/balancer. Case used a oil pump balancer on the 336BD engines. How’s your engine oil pressure? Oh by the way you might want to start a new thread since this one is so old.
Engine oil pressure is good I cant Recall exact numbers but it was good that's why I'm dumbfounded
Still could be shaft bearing in balancer. Best thing to do is drop oil pan and check it out.