Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850 D – Steering Problems

ms0115 · 2017-10-13 14:27

Case 850 D Serial # - JAK0002723 After running about 30 minutes the left track when turning will stick in neutral position for a few seconds after releasing the pedal. Then it will catch and will push and operate strong until you apply the brake again. Any ideas on where to begin? I have an old service manual, this problem is not in the trouble shooting section. Thanks for any advice on where to begin.

Replies24
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2017-10-13 22:31

    OK first of all you are steering it wrong, you should steer with shift levers. The declutch valve in the transmission control valve is probably sticking.

  2. #2alrman2017-10-13 22:45

    Here is a pic of the two declutch vaves mentioned by Coy..... @ms0115 you ARE using hydraulic oil in the brake master cylinders & NOT brake fluid??

  3. #3JS3002017-10-14 06:27

    We didn’t use the foot pedals on our G for a year because they were sticking. Ended up spraying penetrating oil on the linkages several days in a row to free them up. Still don’t use the brakes very often as you are supposed to steer with the levers. Good luck with it.

  4. #4ms01152017-10-14 07:31

    Thanks for the help. To start with this is a neighbor's machine, not sure how he is operating it. He brought it by my shop to see if I could help him with this problem. I put brakes on it about 3 years ago. He had 1 slave cylinder leaking and had been contaminated with brake fluid. I changed both slave cylinders and master cylinders at that time. Where is the declutch valve located?

  5. #5alrman2017-10-14 19:33

    They are located on the front of the transmission control valve, remove floor plate & maybe the seat & mounting plate. If it has had brake fluid in the system, the seals will be shot. There is a quad ring (22) on the piston (21) & a couple of lip seals (20&14). Maybe a good idea to go for genuine parts but not absolutely necessary.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2017-10-14 23:58

    There is a line that goes from the slave cylinder to the front of the TCV that is where the declutch valves are located. Loosen and remove the banjo bolts (be careful not to loose the seal washers) remove the spools and change the seals. Reverse process to reassemble.

  7. #7ms01152017-10-15 17:38

    Thanks for all the input,located the the valve yesterday. Ordering parts Monday and will post an update later.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2017-10-15 19:16

    Good deal I hope all goes well.

  9. #9ms01152017-10-16 09:47

    Coy, Got a break down and part number out of an old manual and looking at it I do not understand how the 3 lip seals can hang the spool when there is a mechanical lever to push and pull. Are there seals that I am not seeing in this break down? Or could the spring on that spool for the cut out be broken? What am I missing? Thanks for he help.

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2017-10-16 16:53

    If you look at the parts break down of the TCV item #6 actuates item#5 you will have to remove the front cover of TCV to get to declutch spools and seals.

  11. #11ms01152017-10-19 09:24

    Still waiting on parts that have been ordered.

  12. #12ms01152017-10-26 17:06

    Coy, Received the parts, took the front of the valve off. The quad seals were bad, but the dealer sent me 4 regular o rings to replace these square cut quad seals. Will these work?

  13. #13ms01152017-10-27 20:58

    FIXED.

  14. #14Old school Lunch box2022-07-03 15:44

    I just picked up a older case D-850 with a drott clamshell bucket that i am assuming is a 4 in 1 and ripper minus the ripper attachment that needs all the undercarriage replaced and all new filters and head gasket as it blew the head gasket on start up when trying to load it on my trailer needing advice on fixing it up and where to find parts locally in alaska (anchorage-wasilla area ) from what i have found the lever to the left of the track controls is a hi and low speed what way is hi and what way is low ? Any help on the year dont know how to decode the info tag

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2022-07-03 18:45

    Hey nice looking loader there. As far as engine parts you might find them online. I’m sure others here will share some sites. I like Conequip. com and brokentractor.com. The hi/lo range shifter I’m not sure which way is hi but I believe it’s up. As far as local sources I’d try your local parts store like NAPA. On the track issue I’d try online if you don’t have a local or in state track dealer.

  16. #16Old school Lunch box2022-07-03 21:34

    Ok thank you

  17. #17alrman2022-07-04 02:01

    That serial number is a 1968 build.

  18. #18Old school Lunch box2022-07-04 05:04

    Thank you for the info much appreciated

  19. #19Old school Lunch box2022-07-04 14:15

    When checking the trans fluid under the seat on the 850 track loader do you check it while the motor is running or when its turned off ? I checked it once i got it home as it will go forwards and backwards and only wants to turn if you use the brake and mess with the levers and after a little bit you can get it to turn ( brakes are non working to boot ) there wasn't any thing on the dipstick

  20. #20Coy Lancaster2022-07-04 19:46

    Check trans oil with engine off. The brake master cylinders are under the floor board use DOT3 fluid. Which they won’t work anyway but it’s worth a shot.

  21. #21Old school Lunch box2022-07-05 02:15

    Ok thank you

  22. #22Coy Lancaster2022-07-05 16:51

    You're welcome

  23. #23Coy Lancaster2022-07-08 16:44

    Hey Old school it doesn't surprise me that it's empty. I'm sure there are a number of leaks on the trans/torque converter. Fill the trans with hyd. fluid to full mark and fun machine then.

  24. #24Old school Lunch box2022-07-08 20:41

    Having to wait for my paycheck so i can get a few things for it then the fun begins lol