Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850 (Late Non letter version) External Transmission Oil Cooler

Jon Bradtke · 2026-10-02 09:29

Good morning. Started up my 850 yesterday and saw the radiator fluid was low. No visible leaks under the radiator and no coolant in the engine oil. Transmission oil is milky so I'm thinking its the Transmission plate cooler in the radiator. I already had the Radiator and plate cooler repaired by a local radiator repair shop years ago so I'm disappointed it only lasted a couple of years. The question of why it failed. Torque converter pressure gauge is showing 100 psi which is way beyond the 40 +-15 PSI the book is saying. I bypassed the cooler and sent fluid through the dipstick and its running at 60psi. There is a restriction in the cooler or the lines. Now to the actual question. Has anyone tried to use an external oil cooler instead of the plate cooler in the bottom of the radiator? If so, do you have any pictures or recommendations for brands, sizing, mounting? I've been looking at the Mishimoto Universal Oil coolers that are rated to 120 PSI and mounting in front the radiator. Space is limited as the 850 has the X bracing for the front Crawl. 1.5" between the radiator and the X bracing. Thanks again, -Jon

Replies2
  1. #1AU.CASE2026-10-03 02:27

    We are talking an early machine, right? If so I had 750 and the exchanger in the base tank of the radiator failed, requiring that it be brazed to keep going and I haven't heard since if it gave trouble again. In the 1150 and the 'C' series has the same system, used in the lower radiator tank. The 1150D went to a side radiator for transmission oil, but the payoff is reduced engine cooling and in warmer times and prior to the recent 1000HR service it was worsened by scale which required an acid bath to remove. The full width radiators' as you mentioned would be best if it can fit, reasonable cost too!

  2. #2Jon Bradtke2026-10-03 07:42

    This is what they call a late 850 dozer (non letter). The original 850 model (roughly 1975). I’d like to keep the original radiator and just plug the transmission oil cooler ports on the bottom. This should keep the engine radiator running normal. I saw the later models used the side by side radiator/oil coolers but they are crazy expensive as a package. I just don’t know how to size an external oil cooler.