Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850B

Coy Lancaster ยท 2022-11-16 21:46

Hey Guys a friend of mine has a Case 850B dozer that won't move. The story I got is that the former owner parked it under a shed one night. Then he got sick and didn't get back to it for about six to eight months. When he did try to move machine it wouldn't move. So he sold it to my friend and that's where I come in. So I check it out and find the trans pressure is in the green but the driveshaft isn't turning unless the hi-lo gear box is in neutral. I thought that maybe something was wrong in the gear box. I removed the gear box (which was a whole nother story) but found nothing wrong. I couldn't turn the forward and reverse shaft though. This dozer does have a winch on it but it doesn't work and hasn't in years. So my thinking is that I should be able to turn the forward reverse shaft on the transmission am I wrong on this?

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2022-11-17 14:37

    Yes, the FWD/REV shaft should turn. Any signs of moisture in the transmission? Where maybe things have got rusty? Haven't had much experience with machines fitted with winches, but water may have entered it & caused problems too? If any of these were possible, the engine would have been loading up when put into gear?

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2022-11-17 20:27

    Hey Alrman thanks for replying. The oil is milky of course but was changed still milky though, imagine that. I put some channel lock pliers in the FnR shaft but couldn't turn it. I plan to remove the winch. Oh by the way the engine doesn't lug down the driveshaft just stops turning. Which tells me the torque converter is probably slipping.

  3. #3alrman2022-11-30 20:22

    Any updates on this Coy?

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2022-12-02 12:23

    I haven't been able to get back to the machine yet it will probably be this next week weather permitting. I will let you know what I find though.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2023-01-29 22:57

    Hey guys just to let you know the winch was the problem on this 850B. I removed it and reinstalled two speed housing and brakes. Dozer operated pretty good.