Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jd 450b final drive oil

Dgreen4298 · 2022-11-16 14:39

Trying to figure out how to check the final drive oil levels on my 450b and can’t find any info. Do the final drives get their oil from the transmission, I know they take 6qts each of the same oil. If the procedure is in the manual I’m too dumb to find it

Replies7
  1. #1Diesel Dave2022-11-16 22:06

    I thought there was a level pipe plug on each final drive housing at the back of the machine. The transmission oil is not shared with the final drives unless someone performed the internal update for a “common sump” .

  2. #2Diesel Dave2022-11-17 00:03

    On second thought the steering clutches are dry so there is NO fluid connection between the transmission and final drives.

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-11-17 01:49

    Don't the reduction gears need lube?

  4. #4mg23612022-11-17 05:21
  5. #5Dgreen42982022-11-17 17:05

    I assume this is the level plug, I’m going to fill it until it come out the holes. I don’t see any way to drain it with out removing the pan, maybe I could pump most on it out.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2022-11-17 23:09

    There is a drain plug in the bottom of each pan. The plug faces to the inside.

  7. #7mg23612022-11-18 04:47