I have a Case 850B that's new to me, and I was wondering how to check, drain and fill the final drive oil. you can't give me too much detail on he location of these plugs. Also, was wondering how to drain the radiator. Thanks!
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the final drive cover that will drain the oil, there is a plug on the inside of the final drive housing to refill the oil. Pull the grill and the lower cover and drain should be on bottom tank on left side facing dozer.
Welcome to HEF @Broken Windows Farm Just thought a pic may help - you may need to scrape some mud/dirt to see them. Funny how the drain plugs are always at the bottom of the component you are wanting to drain...
I thought that was the drain for the final drive... scraped at it, but I still couldn't identify it as a drain plug. Is it a 3/8 or 1/2 drive plug? If you had a pic of the fill plug location that would be awesome... I am away from the machine and would love to know what I am looking for before I go back. Also, if I drain the radiator, will I get all the coolant out of the block too, or is there a block drain separate from the radiator. Thanks.
The drain plugs are mostly 3/8" square drive, sometimes a 1" hex as per the fillers if people have played with them. There is a block drain for the coolant on the LHS of the engine - from memory - but they don't usually come out too easily, so I often just leave them be. If your really concerned, point the front of the machine downhill or raise the rear - most of the coolant will come out.
Another question for you, do you check transmission fluid level running or off?
Transmission oil is checked with the engine off. However I usually check it within 30 seconds of turning it off - so most of the oil will still be in the oil cooler & converter, before it drains back to sump.