Hi! First post looking for some advice I am looking at buying a Case 850C. I haven't seen it yet (tomorrow) but I have been told that one track has no power. The other track works fine but no power is being delivered to the other track. I know that without any more data, it is pretty much impossible to provide any kind of analysis but I am just looking for suggestions on what the possible culprit(s) may be. I have been known to swing a wrench or two but I am not a mechanic and I am buying the dozer for use on my own property. I would just like to have an idea of what things I should do to try to isolate the problem so I don't end up paying more than I should. It is a typical situation where the seller believes the dozer can be fixed for $1.29 while the buyer is afraid that the fix may cost more than the purchase price. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to HEF @Bert14 Two things to check - one is easier to repair than the other. You really need to ascertain if there is any resistance in that track - is it trying to drive? Is it free wheeling? 1) There is a transmission cut-out valve mounted on the front on transmission control valve. (one for LH & one for RH) It is activated by brake pedal pressure. When pedal is depressed the valve recieves pressure & the track is placed into neutral. It's possible the valve is stuck. OR 2) The final drive on that side of the machine is toast. Checking axle shaft for any movement with a crowbar may show something - but best to pull the drain plug briefly & see what comes out. Hopefully not this issue as it is expensive to repair.
Thanks for the reply and info. I went and had a look at the machine the other day and it looks like the right track is free wheeling. The dozer will drive forward and back normally at low power settings. The owner said that, under load, it will turn to the right. Per your suggestions: 1) I did come across some info online stating that the application of brakes will remove power from the related track but I couldn't find exactly how that was accomplished. Thanks for the insight. 2) I had thought about the possibility or a broken or otherwise inoperative axle shaft. From what I could find online, though, replacement shafts are very scarce. Not sure what I can/should do if this is the case.
Thank you, that is very helpful for me.