Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850c final drive fluid volume?

mx_599 ยท 2014-09-18 14:29

I am replacing gear oil in final drives and have seen a couple conflicting amounts. Anyone know? One source said 1 gallon each and another said 2 gallons each? I found a ref of 7.5 quarts for 850D. However, I have an 850C. The drained amount looked like a lot more than 1 gallon...but still concerns me the case documents say 1 gallon each Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1mx_5992014-09-18 23:06

    I found this from a member named Sheepfoot This would mean mine is 4 qt based on serial number. This also means mine was likely overfilled by 3.5 to 4 qts of gear oil by previous owner loosely based on how much came out! Does anyone think this would have been real bad for anything?? thanks

  2. #2sheepfoot2014-09-18 23:30

    Your 850C has a capacity of 7.5 quarts of SAE 85/140 per side.

  3. #3mx_5992014-09-18 23:57

    Even with a S/N of 7401069? I am confused now thanks again

  4. #4sheepfoot2014-09-19 00:29

    The first 850 had a different final, then the change in the final case used a 4 qt fill up to the 850B, the 850c/d and on they upped the amount to the 7+ qt fill. I was thinking a change in the filler plug location made this possible for the higher oil level. As long as it's not building pressure and expanding into the trans case thru the input shaft seal it would not hurt anyway. You may have a input shaft seal leaking trans fluid into your final causing a higher than normal level also.

  5. #5mx_5992014-09-19 13:39

    Good info, thanks. How would I know if I have a leak? I have other leaks in transmission I am chasing down so I cannot go by that oil. Would the final drive gear oil look much different or would the transmission oil mix into to it making it hard to tell? I wondering if I should change the final gear oil soon a second time to sort of flush it out. Honestly, it was hard to tell the "quality" of old gear oil as it drained. It had occasional fine particle silver color but overall I think it was okay. It was not anything like metal chips or anything like that. Do you think a second drain after 10 hours or so of use would be good to see it it retains its new like oil condition?? That oil was expensive! I would have used cheaper stuff if I knew I was going to drain soon. I still have the second side to do....maybe a cheap oil in there first; then better stuff? I am assuming to change that seal is a nightmare? Also, I have read a ridiculous amount of conflicting info on transmission oil. You have an opinion? Such drastic differences leads me to believe people do not know what they are talking about or it doesn't really matter. I have seen it has to be Case TCH or that it should be SAE 30 wt to prevent cavitation or that any HyTran equivalent is fine. In the end I got what seemed to be a good quality HyTran Shell oil that met all the specs listed. Furthermore, how can Case TCH be so great if it is over 30 years old?? Hasn't there been improvements in oil where modern stuff would be better? No? Lastly, my machine has about 2700 hours. I think this is accurate based on the history and its overall condition. It is brand new to me. :drinkup Thanks!