This came up for sale near me so I went to take a look. 5100 hours. Everything seems nice and tight and responsive. The tilt cylinder leaks and the hydraulic hoses should be replaced, and the range selector lever is stuck. All the fluids look good, though probably due for a change. The owner has had it for 7 years and put 100 hours on it during that time.
Are the sprockets as sharp as they look in the pictures?
Yes, but surprisingly the rest of the undercarriage seemed in great shape. I think it has sealed link chains.
I'm guessing they put new pads and rails on an otherwise old undercarriage at some point. Looks like a bottom roller or two is worn pretty good. Also looks like it rarely had the undercarriage shoveled out, rusted out track tensioner housing. I wouldn't be too concerned about the range shifter being stuck. On my 450C the shifter was gone when I bought it and it is permanently in the low side (1st/3rd). Never had a need to run 2nd/4th. That 850 might be a good machine, run it for an hour and you'll know.
Looks pretty clean, I see it’s got Berco rollers. Sprockets should last a while. Almost looks like it’s been repainted but don’t think so.
The shoes and sprockets are probably the most worn parts. The bottom rolls are actually in better shape than the rest of the U/C. No rounded corners and the flats are still flat, not bellied out. Yes, there are some rusted areas. If I buy it I would want to replace those guards and fix the tensioner fitting covers. I've put my 450C in high range a few times for traveling longer distances. But not very often.
Yes it was repainted, but it looks like they did a good job.
I curious if the winch that is currently on my 450C would fit on this machine. In looking for info, I found this on the MyCNH store: Adapter Parts For 450b, 450c, 850b, 850c, And 850d Crawlers | CASE Construction | MyCNH US Store Find schematics, manuals, specifications and diagrams for ADAPTER PARTS FOR 450B, 450C, 850B, 850C, AND 850D CRAWLERS. Find genuine OEM parts for your needs. www.mycnhstore.com Looks like the adapter is the same for 450C and for 850D.
I looked at a different 850D today. $6500 more than the first one. 3900 hours, it's a bit looser and has a more worn out undercarriage, though still serviceable for a while. It's also n/a while the first one was turbocharged. It also has a tilt cylinder leak but what concerned me most is that the brakes weren't very responsive. And I found an open bottle of brake fluid behind the seat which is not good because the brakes use hydraulic fluid. Regular brake fluid will cause issues from what I've read.
That’s a Clammer! Should be 6500 total, not more than.
#1 takes the cake
I meant to reply earlier, #1 seemed the much better deal. Looks good on your trailer!
Unfortunately not my truck and trailer. I hired a guy to deliver it for me because I don't have interstate registration for the truck and it was on your side of the river.
Oh, gotcha! Nice setup he has there.
Looks good. I'll be interested to see how you think it compares to the 450C. I've been looking at those 850D's but also 1150E's and their respective track loader models.
Good looking dozer . I remember those from my youth . They are a good dozer . They always put in a solid days work .
Tracks look a little tight. I think it could have new undercarriage except for the pads. 5100 hours seems like you should have maybe 50-60% remaining assuming the original U/C lasted in 3600- 4000 hours range. Looks like a nice dozer. Can we ask what it cost?
So far I've only put a few hours on it but it seems to be a lot more machine than the 450C. It's about 4-5000 lbs heavier I guess but seems to be enough bigger to actually do some serious work without spinning out or bogging down. It does have the advantage of 1500 less hours and being in much better shape also. And the 6 cylinder turbo engine sounds so nice
Time to try to fix the leaking tilt cylinder There are some scratches and dents on the rod, so I used a fine file to take down any high spots. It's in a vulnerable position on the blade so I'm surprised it's not worse The 1/1-4 bolt needs a lot more torque than my 600 lb ft torque wrench can deliver. A 6' pipe did the trick The gland and barrel cutouts for the lock screw don't match...
Yeah, not sure what you do, when they don’t match. If it’s somewhat close and I have to loosen a little bit, to get the screw in, I’ve done it. Worked the 3 times I did it but I had one that was a half thread off and tried it and it leaked like a sieve. Ended up using dremel to make new half hole and tap and used a self tapping screw.
Mater I dont remember but is it possible that cylinder is upside down, if the rod was up it would be protected better
The way the one hose is twisted funny could be because the cylinder is upside down. It makes more sense to have the rod on top.
Did well to remove a gland with the 'C style' peg tool ! As a thought, it could be simpler to use the clevis in the machine where the piston shaft mounted, a 'V block' and big hand tool to crack the cap screw, as I see the vyce needed some assistance to stay on the bench with a load like that! I have noticed CASE glands don't always match the lock screw when rebuilt, but not by as much as in the picture, drill a new centre hole and self tap a new screw in? We have several piston shafts replaced when damaged for a low price compared to OEM and could this shaft have a cuff welded on the blade to shelter it? I noticed it is correctly installed on the CNH part surfer. DOZER LEVELING BEAM, BLADE, AND TILT CYLINDER | CASE Construction | MyCNH ANZ Store Find schematics, manuals, specifications and diagrams for DOZER LEVELING BEAM, BLADE, AND TILT CYLINDER. Find genuine OEM parts for your needs. www.mycnhstore.com
That is the correct position for the cylinder, with the rod pointing down. Otherwise dirt can pile up on top of it and get mashed in the gland nut when you retract it. When I rebuild cylinders if the lock screw doesn't line up just pick a spot and drill/tap a new hole.
Apparently it was off when the previous seal replacement was done. Whoever did it just put a sheet metal screw in the hole. Seems to have worked fine, so I did the same again.
Like @MG84 said, it's in correctly. I may try to make a guard for it at some point.
None of the 3 I've done so far on this machine have been very tight. But I assume they are also much smaller than the cylinders on your 1150D. Good idea on using the machine as a clamp. Unfortunately this vice is missing the base, so it's held onto the bench with small C clamps, which weren't very happy with much torque so that's why I added the F clamp.
Aha, that is like one vice I have for lighter jobs too. Working against the machine has the benefit of its weight and the correct sized pin for the clevis / yoke eye. Years ago I made two sets of "V blocks" and they are really invaluable for this work and protecting shafts under load, or in some cases I use a stick of "Hickory" [a local Acacia with very long grain and when fresh is light but very very strong] where I cut a "V" in one end, this can sometimes work too. HeavyEquipmentForums
You're lucky they've all come apart without a fight. I had one on my 450C that took a 13' cheater pipe with one of my buddies hanging on the end, then me giving the end of the cylinder a whack with a sledge to get it to bust loose. Honestly I'm amazed the gland nut wrench held up.
I flipped the cutting edges today. The ends are about worn out completely. The center has some life left in it I think. The left end tapers back quite a bit, but I don't see any evidence of bending:
I guess the rust got the best of the tensioner housing. It probably didn't get cleaned enough during it's 38 years. Time to order more parts.