Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850D converter temperature gauge

Brent Zeirott · 2023-09-08 11:47

my glass is broke and so obviously it doesn’t work. Any ideas where I can get a replacement where I’m not paying more than $300? It’s just a temperature gauge isn’t it? Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2023-09-08 14:57

    You can go to local parts store and find a manual temp gauge that should work.

  2. #2Brent Zeirott2023-09-08 15:00

    I thought that would work, but what is the operating temperature?

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2023-09-08 15:01

    Now remember the trans temp gauges doesn't move unless you push heavy loads long distance or stall torque converter for a while. I think the temp range is 0-250.

  4. #4Dave Neubert2023-09-08 15:03

    250 260 degrees

  5. #5Brent Zeirott2023-09-08 15:08

    Well it’s really converter temperature. If I put a temperature gauge in, I was just wondering what the correct operating temperature for the converter was. They want $255 to $320 for a correct gauge that is green/red

  6. #6Brent Zeirott2023-09-08 15:09

    Thank you, now I just need to find a gauge that fits those temperatures

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2023-09-08 15:12

    Search part number on line you can usually find one there.

  8. #8Brent Zeirott2023-09-08 15:15

    I just bought a used parts manual and a service manual online, they will be here next week. I did get the part number and that’s where I was offered $255 to $320 for that part number. R54145

  9. #9Dave Neubert2023-09-08 18:08

    I just bought one from CTP for a CAT for $20.00 it would do the same thing

  10. #10materthegreater2023-09-08 19:30

    Would this hold true on a 450C also? I assumed my converter gauge wasn't working properly because it barely moves. But if that's what it's supposed to do, maybe I'm just not working the machine hard enough.

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2023-09-09 07:24

    The converter gauges on these machines are installed on the cold side of trans cooler which means the oil coming out of cooler back to trans system.

  12. #12Brent Zeirott2023-09-09 09:37

    I traced mine down to right under my feet at the converter.

  13. #13MG842023-09-09 14:37

    Yes that would be true. The gauges on my 450c all work properly and you have to be pushing really hard on a 90* day to get it to move much.

  14. #14Tinkerer2023-09-10 06:52

    This is an image of the Case OEM replacement gauge. Maybe this one ?

  15. #15Brent Zeirott2023-09-10 06:56

    yep, $255. Not gonna pay that Biden price.