I Have a Case 850D with 8 way blade and need an engine . I keep getting conflicting info on what engine is in it. Its a 4 cyl naturally aspirated diesel. Can any one offer input. Thanks. Also, if anyone has one, I'm interested.
Welcome to HEF @Bruce33 A Case 850D actually uses a 6 cylinder Cummins engine. (6-590) However a D850 I'm not 100% sure of - A straight 850 (1967-1977 era) Would use a 4 cylinder Case 301 or 301BD. Do you have a machine serial number to confirm the machine model? Does it have 2 cylinder heads? Can you upload a picture of it?
yes it does have 2 cylinder heads. I'll get the numbers tomorrow. Thanks
U can usually get the engine info from the inj. pump.. Theres a name plate on the inj. pump.. Post those #'s or plug them into google search.
A D has a 5 cyl Cummins a C or earlier has a 336 4 cyl.
The 850D has a Case 6-590 engine usually naturally asperated but turbocharger was an option. If your dozer has a 4 cyl. in it then it is a 336BD naturally asperated. I would check the serial number tag to make sure this is a D and not a C series machine.
No ID Plate on the injector pump; but I did find this; Identification problem solved. Anyone have one sitting around?
Look on the engine on timing cover just above the injection pump if it's a 6cyl and on the front valve cover if it's a 4cyl. for engine info. The photos didn't post that you tried to send. The serial number plate is on the right side of operators platform just under the operators manual storage case. If the plate isn't there then the serial number is stamped on the frame on the left side close to radiator.
The pic just came through and this machine is either a 850B or C it is a 301BD I was thinking 336 all info you need is on the sticker as far a valve settings and timing. What info do you need to know about the engine.
This is the Dozer in Question I'm Looking for a replacement engine and had problems with the ID
Will any case 301BD interchange to this dozer?
As long as it has come out of a yellow construction machine it should fit straight in. If it has come from a white or red agricultural machine - it will fit in as the blocks are the same, but you may need to check the horsepower rating just to be sure. I have seen more than a few old crawler dozer/loaders with agricultural engines fitted to them. What is actually wrong with your engine? They aren't too expensive to rebuild as long as the crankshaft is OK.
That is a straight 850 you will be hard pressed to find a used engine that is good. I would look at rebuilding that one. There are a lot of web sites that offer rebuild kits for these engines. By the way if you can find a used engine a 336BD out of a 850B or a 336BDT out of an 880 or 880B excavator will work.
Alrman- The engine was allowed to fill with water and sit. After they drained it out and got it to turn over and start, it spun a bearing. Should have been torn down. Scored crank badly scored cylinders. damaged pistons. etc. Coy Lancaster- The data plate says D850 Ser#7074673
Thanks for the info on your dozer. The crank can be replaced along with the cylinder sleeves you can find rebuild kits on ebay.com, brokentractor.com, reliableaftermarketparts.com or coneequip.com if you want to go that way.
It is still rebuildable. Its just whether you want to do the work involved or not.
If you need the service manual for the engine PM me and put your email address in it.
Thanks for all the help, we will look at the feasibility of an overhaul. Used engines are few and far between making overhaul even more inviting. From past experiences, I'm not keen on getting these guys to make the changes necessary to install a different model. That often becomes more expensive than rebuild even with crank. Thanks again, I'll post an update when we get it done.
Almost any agricultural equipment salvage yard should have those 301's and 336's. They were used in thousands of Case farm tractors. The 336 is a 301 with a bigger piston bore. So it would be an uncomplicated substitute.