Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4C steering clutch and brake fluid capacity

Steve Weiden · 2019-03-10 12:58

New owner of 97 Cat D4C with 3046 engine. Book says 7.4 gals per side for steering clucth lubrication but that does not bring levels anywhere near “level hole openings. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2019-03-10 13:17

    Levels in manuals are only ever listed as “Refill Capacities (Approximate)”. Always fill to the dipstick, level plug, or sight glass with whatever amount the compartment will actually take. As a supplementary comment - Is your book a genuine Cat book and appropriate for the Serial Number of the tractor..? The reason I ask is that there are a number of different S/N prefixes of D4C and the listed steering clutch/brake compartment fluid capacities vary a bit between different models.

  2. #2Steve Weiden2019-03-10 13:33

    Thank you sir for your very quick reply!

  3. #3Steve Weiden2019-03-10 13:34

    It is a Cat maunaual (expensive but worth it! Thank you again.

  4. #4Nige2019-03-10 15:41

    Is it a complete paper Service Manual..? If so, might I ask how much you paid for it..?

  5. #5Steve Weiden2019-03-10 16:35

    It is. It was about $385.00 if I remember correctly.

  6. #6Nige2019-03-10 19:56

    If it's complete then you got a good deal. A new paper one would be close to $1000, a CD with pdf files on it would be $600.

  7. #7John C.2019-03-11 11:09

    I don't ever remember checking levels in those compartments on that model of tractor. There was a time when the clutch compartments were dry and they made provision to change them to wet. In that case there were no dipsticks. I thought that when they went to wet clutches from the factory the transmission oil filled the cases.