Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850G Cummins dozer engine subject to killer dowel pin like the trucks?

Greghh · 2020-11-19 20:22

I was looking at buying a Case 850G dozer and it has the Cummins 6 cylinder engine. If I recall right, the timing dowel pin was pressed into the block on the 6 cylinder cummins engines they put in the pickup trucks. Does anyone know if the Case dozers are subject to this problem or is there a different casting they have or what? Thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1skyking12020-11-19 22:17

    depends on the year, the KDP was in the P-pumped trucks from 94-98 . There is an easy fix without removing the timing cover, if it does apply.

  2. #2Coaldust2020-11-20 01:36

    That heavy P-pump put a lot of extra strain on the front cover, vs the rotary pumps. Made the pin walk out. I fixed a few front cover and gear train explosions back in the 2000’s. Like Skyking1 said, it’s an easy thing to prevent. If it hasn't failed by now, Chances are that pin could have safely fallen out and missed the carnage.