Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu D21a-7 Bottom Rollers

Don Shilling ยท 2020-11-20 17:52

This machine has been squealing like a dozen stuck pigs since last year when I purchased it. The seller said it was because of the new chains breaking in. It started getting worse lately so I pulled it in the shop for a look see. Checked the top rollers, great condition but found several bottom rollers slap dab wore out. I later noticed that two rollers had been replaced within the last hundred hours when the sprockets, chains, and front idlers were replaced. I ordered 10 new rollers from the good folks at Pivot Equipment Parts and will keep the two low time rollers for future spares. We raised the front of the dozer with the blade and blocked it up so there was a sag in the lower track to allow us to remove the rollers. All bolt holes were chased and cleaned and new bolts purchased. Many of the original bolts were corroded on the hex and were difficult to remove. The only extra work was to remove the rear stone guards to access the rear rollers. All bolts were treated with never seize since all of them fought us all the way out! The last pic is of Daniel, my mechanic helper, applying Arkansas torque to the bolts! Everything went together smoothly and it was a pleasure to hear only bulldozer sounds, clank, clank, clank, when we were finished!

Replies0

No replies yet.