Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850G Dozer noise

Riesebosch ยท 2014-06-29 22:20

Hi Everyone. I am new to this website. I have owned a Case 850G dozer for about a year. Today I noticed a new knocking / clicking noise. It only occurs when the dozer moves. It occurs in forward, reverse, and all gears. The frequency of the knocking noise also speeds up as the dozer speed increases. The sound seems to be coming from under my feet in the cab. The best I can describe the sound would be similar to the knocking / clicking you would hear on a roller coaster as it goes up the initial hill. If anyone could guide me on what on earth this new sound could be I would greatly appreciate it. All fluid levels appear fine so I am quite confused and concerned.

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2014-06-29 23:19

    Welcome to HEF Riesebosch! Universal joints on drive shaft? 2 speed/range shift teeth issues? Bevel & pinion teeth issues? Final drive teeth issues? If the drive shaft is OK - I would drain all oils & check for gear teeth........ if the final drives are OK, pull the suction screen from the transmission & check it .....

  2. #2TXGOAT2014-06-30 09:19

    Flat roller?

  3. #3Riesebosch2014-06-30 15:24

    Thanks Guys. I have more info now after some further testing. The right side is what is causing the problems. The left side appears normal. The right side definitely makes a noise that sounds like gear teeth slipping, and the right side even gets stuck (drive left side leaving right side in neutral and track sometimes locks up). Also there is a fluid leak from the right side drive area but I assumed the transmission fluid was what filled this. I now suspect there is a separate reservoir for the left and right sides, and the right one drained and chewed up a couple gears in the drive. It sounds like a repair fora real diesel mechanic. Thoughts?