Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3B pinion removal question.

Digwizz ยท 2014-06-28 13:55

Anybody know which hoops you have to jump through to get the nut off the pinion gear shaft on a D3B? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The shop manual says, "remove the pinion", seems as though they left out a huge part of the story. Pretty sure there are a bunch of you guys that know the answer. Thanks, Mike

Replies4
  1. #1Digwizz2014-06-28 22:08

    Guess I should have said I'm speaking of the final drive pinion and not the one that matches up with the bevel gear.

  2. #2Nige2014-06-29 10:11

    Do you mean the big locknut that retains the track drive sprocket...? The one under the cover on the outside of the tractor. If not can you post a photo of what you're struggling with.

  3. #3Digwizz2014-06-29 10:48

    I wish that were the case. The pinion shaft sticks through the main case and I can't even see the nut because the steer clutch and brake drum are in the way. I was hoping it would be possible to take it off without pulling the steering clutch out. But, it doesn't look promising right now. A picture would only show you the top of the steering clutch.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-06-29 14:51

    I am not familiar with the D3B but I think you answered your own question. On the bigger CATs I worked on you had to remove the steering clutch/brake assembly, remove the nut and press off the flange before removing the pinion shaft.