Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850k

pdevaney ยท 2016-08-14 20:41

I have a CASE 850k that is having some starting issues. I replaced the starter and put 2 new optima batteries on it Thursday thinking that was my problem. I'm getting 12 volts at the starter but when i turn the key the starter just clicks. When i wheel my charger over and turn the dial to 225 it starts immediately and will run all day. This one has a cab etc.. and everything else works perfectly. It seems like a grounding issue but can't pinpoint the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Power Tan2016-08-15 22:53

    Re: 850K Should be a battery disconect behind the access door on the left side. Try jumping it or replacing it. They were prone to failing........Jim

  2. #2pdevaney2016-08-16 22:35

    Thanks Jim. One thing that I'm not sure about is the connections. There are 2 wires on the "off" side of disconnect that trace to + post on starter and then to + post on alternator. On the "power" side of disconnect there is 1 wire connected that has a jumper that is bolted down below to the frame. When I put a voltmeter to + terminal on battery and "-" to the jumper wire on the frame I'm getting a -12.6 volts. Somethings not right. Any ideas

  3. #3Power Tan2016-08-17 19:25

    Re: 850K Try this, this will rule out the switch. Check and clean all the grounds....Jim View attachment 850k.pdf

  4. #4pdevaney2016-08-18 00:22

    Could you email me a copy of your service manual?

  5. #5pdevaney2016-08-18 18:27

    Everything checked out okay on your attachment. I tested the voltage between the solenoid wire on starter and relay and it only measured 6.8 volts when trying to start. Do you have happen to have the part # for that wire? Something must be causing a decrease in voltage. Maybe it's a bad wire. Thanks.

  6. #6Power Tan2016-08-19 20:00

    Re: 850K Unfortantly I can only get one page of the service manual at a time. Here are some more things to check...... View attachment 850k start.pdf View attachment 850k ignition.pdf View attachment 850k start relay.pdf

  7. #7pdevaney2016-08-19 20:59

    My service manual pics of the relays on the firewall are not the same as the ones on my machine. Can you please send the pic in your manual?