hello everyone, I just bought a D21-7E. This is my first post, hoping yall can help me. I bought this dozer and after a few hours of running the right side started making some clicking noises and started to not disengage and would bog the engine down when trying to stear right. I also locked up occasionally but it stopped doing that after a few days of running it so I thought maybe the clutches had rust. Well in about 15 minutes time the right side went from slipping a little while pushing to nothing on the the right side. It would just click loudly. I thought the clutches where gone so I ordered clutches and brake band and started tearing everything down yesterday. When I get all the bolts off both sides I notice the flange on the outside that the drum bolts to has a lot of play in it. I havnt lifted the clutch assembly out but I'm thinking I've got more problems than just the clutches being bad. Any ideas?
Could be your problem is in the final drive. Perhaps a pinion shaft problem
Yair . . . gabelivingston Mate, if you ran the tractor for two days with it "clicking and locking up occasionally" I fear this can't end well. I don't know the tractor but suspect that flange you speak drives the top pinion in the final drive and if it loose . . . . Any time a machine "locks up", "bogs down" or makes "clicking noises" It is time to stop it where it is don't even try to walk it back to the trailer . . . do diagnostics on the spot. To move it could cost big money. All the best with it and please keep us posted Cheers.
I could, and have at times have, mentioned experiences with operators who wanted to save work and or time by running a machine that was doing something odd by driving it back to the shop! Some actually made it others did not! When training any new guys on a machine I made it a big point to tell them if something feels different, sounds different or smells different STOP. Tell them boss may want to chew them out for holding up production but he will be more upset if large parts are laying on the ground!
Yair . . . kshansen I suppose what we are saying is we have been around the block? Cheers.