Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850K Starts, Won’t Move, Transmission Light On, No CAN code

ebrent ยท 2018-08-28 16:33

I have a Case 850K (2006). Last time I was running it, after it working flawless for more than an hour, I went to back up and it wouldn't move. I moved the joystick back and forth several times (F and R), before reverse finally "engaged". Went out the next time and now I can't get it to engage either forward or backwards. The transmission light is on and the only code/fault I get is No CAN. Based on an older thread, I have gone through and replaced all the fuses (under the open cab and on the side of the dash) and checked all the relays (swapped out with starter relay). The lights on the safety levers change colors (orange to green) and it will start with one lever forward but not both. Is there any way I could have a joystick problem WITHOUT any numbered error codes? I have two manuals for it and a friend versed in electronics, so running any system continuity checks shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1guisep32018-12-22 00:58

    I have the exact machine with exact same issues. Get another guy to fiddle with the relays while the other sits in the cab and watches the dash. The machine won't start with both safety levers down. That's factory safety setup, no issue there. I replaced my fuse blocks entirely, and still had issue. No Can is telling you that there is a issue between 1 of the 3 controllers you have. More than likely the dash board and the ecu. I have found that if we take a small file to the relays that are 7, 8 and i forgot the other , but the relays that are assigned to the ecu, the f n r , and the brake. File them clean, blow air across the sockets, the biggest problem is corrosion ofb the blades inside the sockets and you don't get proper ground to the circuits. Hence my idea of figiting with them. Worked for me several times Joe

  2. #2Junkyard2018-12-22 01:04

    Look for any harness connections and unplug/clean them thoroughly. Also check grounds. CAN systems are very finicky when it comes to corrosion and any harness issues....wires rubbing on something extneral or shorting against each other. What seems like an insignificant amount of crud will wreak havoc.

  3. #3ebrent2018-12-22 08:20

    Junkyard, you are not that far from me. Any interest in coming over and going through it with me. For a price of course.

  4. #4Junkyard2018-12-22 08:30

    What part of OK are you in? I almost always look to see where new people are from. Not sure how I missed that lol. I can probably find some time to slip out and take a gander at it.