Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6h dozer axels

4730 · 2018-08-28 17:22

Is there a secret to get axels back in having trouble getting back in

Replies15
  1. #1Junkyard2018-08-28 18:08

    Aside from the handy dandy Cat tool that helps you hold it.....just gotta hold your mouth right and make sure the teeth and splines line up. I’ve had some slip right back in and others I’ve had to fuss with a bit before they’d go. Seems like on one model I’d pull the sun gear out, slip the axle into the diff and then slide the gear on. If it wouldn’t line up I’d pull axle and turn a tooth or two until it all went. Can’t say for sure that was a Cat dozer I did that on. I’ve slept since then! If the track isn’t on you can turn the drive until everything lines back up, assuming brake isn’t on. Hopefully that helps!

  2. #247302018-08-28 18:49

    Is there a way to release breaks? Without it running?

  3. #3Junkyard2018-08-28 19:10

    Do you have a S/N? On the old D11N they’d release after it sat shutoff for a bit. I’d have to look your machine up to tell you for certain. I know a little about a lot of machines lol. I can go to SIS and tell you for certain.

  4. #447302018-08-28 20:00

    Hope this works just had trans out and putting back in and I suppose everything is not lined up

  5. #5Dave Neubert2018-08-28 20:39

    They are spring applied so i don't know of a way are you sure the inner axles are in all the way I used a piece i 1" square tubing and welded a 5/8 bolt to it then you can screw it into the inner axle. If track is off you can rotate the planetary to help line up the outer axle

  6. #647302018-08-28 20:49

    Actually having problems getting inner axles in .can't seem to get either side lined up not sure how a guy can turn a bit to aline . Should a guy put outer axle in one side and use a bottle jack to turn sprocket a bit?

  7. #7Nige2018-08-29 07:23

    Do you have the correct remove/install tool that screws on the end of the axle shaft..? If you don't have that you're making things awful tough for yourself..... The tool is not a Part Number, it is reference FT1952 which means it's a "fabricated tool". Any Cat dealer should supply you with the drawing showing how to make one.

  8. #847302018-08-29 08:26

    K thanks I did weld a bolt to end of a pipe but maybe I will stop at cat and have a look at one. Would a guy be able to turn shaft inside bell housing with that tool to align splines?

  9. #9Nige2018-08-29 09:19

    Yessir, you would.

  10. #1047302018-08-29 10:29

    Is there a way to release brakes without machine running?

  11. #1147302018-08-30 23:08

    Welded a bolt on end of a round bar with a handle on end turned in like nothing!. Thanks .

  12. #12Kels3062025-11-17 22:56

    Having issues with a d6t only has to go in maybe another inch and a half , left side

  13. #13Nige2025-11-18 00:22

    On a diff steer machine there is a gear/adapter on the left side of the bevel gears that has to be slid out a couple of inches or so in order to remove the transmission. My bet is that adapter has not re-engaged in the splines yet (I’m assuming you have had the transmission out). You might have to remove the LH axle shaft again and push on the adapter while at the same time turning the sprocket with something like a bottle jack to get it to drop in, then install the shaft again. It’s explained in the first few minutes of this video.

  14. #14MattR2025-11-18 13:32

    I don't have a dog in this fight so to speak, don't have this machine, but we are all very lucky to have you nige. You have helped me a lot in the past. Somehow you are knowledgeable of both new and old machines alike. Lots of experience obviously I guess. You are a true asset here

  15. #15tctractors2025-11-18 16:08

    The fitting of drive shafts can be a game but not to bad once you think about things, take a D6R with Diff Steering it has 2 shafts to pull out of the left side and 1 shaft to be removed out of the right, a good tip to start with if you can is before you pull the shafts drive the Dozer and let it come to a stop on its own account without any brake being used, this does help a bit, I have found the best trick is to slacken off the grease valve/s on the track adjusters it can help with the stress levels, I near always fit the the right side shaft in first, then push in the mid shaft from the left then do a measuring tape dip to confirm it is fully located as this shaft pushes the drive coupling onto the transmission drive shaft, then I do what you all do fit the outer left shaft and keep pulling it out a bit and turning it to index another tooth and try to find the magic spot where it pops in, if no luck I have all this slack track to allow easy hub movement to let the shaft drop in, you don't want to run the engine with the shafts removed as oil will fly out at you, it's not the brake plates that are off line it's the outer hub gear teeth, so knock the grease out of the tension cylinders and give yourself some slack to ease things. p.s. take no notice of that Video as he left out lots of important detail plus the fact he made an Ar$e of doing the repair, the final thing you see him doing is putting a bit of rope on the steering control, that's how things go wrong fast just never do it it's Madness best done by Idiots.