Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 855E (Cummins 6B) Miracle

alrman ยท 2015-08-05 07:52

Had to pull a leaking oil pan off a Case 855E the other day - it had a hole worn in the bottom of it. As I pulled the last bolt & lowered the pan from under the machine, it had one of those rattling noises in it that you know is just not right. It came as a surprise because the engine was running perfectly with no worrying sounds at all. Well, what I found was a main bearing cap retaining bolt. Looks like the head had popped off & the remaining stud had fully unscrewed itself & fell into the pan. The bottom of the pan & bolt/head are very highly polished - I figure it has been in there for a couple of thousand hours. I fitted this engine as an exchange unit from Cummins about 6 yrs ago. Pulled the main & checked it out - couldn't see any problem with the cap or bearing. 2 x new bolts & a new pan were fitted - & it's back at work. Some people are just so lucky.....

Replies1
  1. #1JustinG2015-08-05 08:12

    Very lucky! I've seen main cap bolts come loose just enough to cause fretting on the block and cap. Good thing it was just one bolt.