Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 85xt brake will not release

Stevechari · 2018-06-03 23:15

i have a Case 85xt that the brakes will not release. I have been troubleshooting this problem on and off for awhile now. The bucket moves up and down but it will not move forwards or backwards. The neutral override solenoid and the brake pressure switch have both been replaced. But the brakes still will not disengage. All three safety switch lights are illuminated. Does anyone know if the brake solenoid in the back is bad if it could cause it to not disengage? Does anyone know how to check to see if the back up alarm switches are bad or not or if they could cause the machine to not disengage? I would appreciate anyone’s wisdom, ideas, or suggestions of what to try.

Replies13
  1. #1GaryHoff2018-06-04 00:13

    I'm assuming you have checked all of your fuses? They get corroded, so it may be a good idea to just change them all anyways. Do you have power at the brake pressure switch or neutral over ride coil? Try jumping your interlock relay, pins 30 to 87, and see if the machine will move. Also re-check, and see if you have power at the neutral over ride coil (on top of the pumps) You may also have a bad park brake switch or wiring in the joystick handle (power to the neutral over ride has to go through the joystick handle, so if you don't have power at the NOR coil, this is a good place to start looking) Back up alarm switches will not cause a park brake issue. Do you have the brake release valve? (silver valve with a red and black knob on it) Black knob should be pulled out.

  2. #2Stevechari2018-06-04 00:58
  3. #3Stevechari2018-06-04 01:00

    Thank you for that information, I am going to try the things you suggested. We will let you know the outcome

  4. #4Stevechari2018-06-05 15:22

    I have power to the pressure switch, power going to the NOR but it’s not coming back out of the other lead. Is it not supposed to? I thought there should be 12 volts there also. I changed out all of the fuses and cleaned it all good. I also have power going to the brake button on the joy stick. Please let me know your thoughts on that. Thank you

  5. #5GaryHoff2018-06-05 20:21

    41 - NOR solenoid 46 - brake button 46a - 2 speed button 47 - 2 speed solenoid

  6. #6GaryHoff2018-06-05 20:29

    At the NOR solenoid, remove the connector and test the wires. You should have 12V at the tan wire #307, and ground at black wire 178a6

  7. #7Kcorey2018-06-24 19:43

    Did you resolve your issue? I’m having similar issue with my 85xt, except it won’t drive and hyd lift doesn’t function

  8. #8GaryHoff2018-06-27 22:22

    Kcorey, sounds like you have a interlock issue, maybe a cab switch or lap bar switch. Try jumping your interlock relay, pins 30 to 87, and see if the machine will move

  9. #9Kcorey2018-06-28 06:42

    All three green lights are on in upper right hand display. i will give jumping the relay a shot, previous owner brought machine to a equipment repair shop and they diagnosed it as a bad hyd coupler, but i winched machine onto my trailer brought it home , started machine and i had hydraulics for a minute, then shut machine off and now no hydraulic function again.

  10. #10Stevechari2018-07-20 02:07

    No my 85xt is still not moving. As far as I can tell is that all 3green lights are on. I am now wondering if the last one is on or is it glowing off the other ones because it real dim. Any way I jump the relay and it still not move. Bucket moves up and down good. Break parking light is still on. I have power to it for sure. I have power to my NOR solenoid. My cage switch is jumped. Seat switch is jumped. I jump the relays. Now coupler. Where’s it located and dose yrs have wires to it. If it’s were I think it is and mine have two wires to it and they are cut. Worth looking at. I sure thank u for yr alsome help.

  11. #11Stevechari2018-07-20 02:10
  12. #12Stevechari2018-07-20 02:35
  13. #13Stevechari2018-07-20 02:38

    I’m not sure what iv done here but I think I replied to wrong person. I hope it’s goi to Gary Hoff.