Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 9020b emergency shut down problems

Yeager custom works · 2025-10-18 14:48

Hello all. First time posting here. I’ve searched google/AI for days with no luck. My uncle Ryan purchased his 1999 9020 about 6mo ago from a Richie bros auction. Since day one it was throwing a soft code for charging system. I checked alt output, and monitored battery voltage. It was charging, but system didn’t realize it. Anyhow I did all the major fluid/filters, Swing, final drives etc, and gave it a good bath. The only other problem at the time was no fuel gauge working. I found a broken sending unit wire, fixed, but still no gauge working. At his request I added an aftermarket elec gauge in cab, and moved forward. I pulled the seat to have recovered, and reinstalled it. At that point I was about finished, and he was going to haul it to clear some property. I fired machine up to move and got an emergency shut down alarm, and message on screen, but the machine did not shut down. I of course shut machine down, and realized an injector line had rubbed a pin hole in it. So jump forward a week or so. I installed the new fuel line, and fired machine up. Still had the shut down alarm/message. I check all the electrical connections in cab, cleaned, and dielectric greased pins. I also installed a diagnostic gauge to make sure we had oil pressure on the engine. At that point I was at the end of my abilities. Ryan called case dealer, and a tech came out. He did not have ability to plug in and read data, but he did diag for about 5hrs, and determined machine had bad pcm/ecu. Quoted 13,000$ to replace/program. We decided to order one online for 750$, and swap it ourselves. After the new pcm swap, the machine is doing the exact same thing as before. We do own all 3 manuals for the machine, but none of them have info on running the “self test” scan to retrieve error codes. I’ve looked online for hours, and cannot fine info on code retrieval. Sorry for the long read, but at this point we don’t want to run the machine in manual override mode, but we’re out of options. I would also like a diagram of the fuse panel behind the seat if anyone has that please. Thanks for reading, much appreciated!! -Yeager

Replies1
  1. #1Coaldust2025-10-18 17:38

    Yeah. Having a dealer tech work on a 26 year old machine that was built before he was born never works out. There are only a few inputs that will cause that warning light to come on. I suspect it’s probably the speed sensor on the flywheel housing. That’s the first thing I would look at. The magnet on the speed sensor gets coated with broken flywheel teeth and metal shavings, mice built homes in that real estate, wires get broken. Sometimes, just cleaning the sensor, adjusting the depth and cleaning the connections, fixes it. BTW, we were just talking about land owners buying old excavators. Come join us. Homeowners buying old giant excavators? Is this only viable for YouTubers looki ng to generate content? I have thirty acres on mountain side. My fantasy is to have giant excavator that works but is cheap. HeavyEquipmentForums