Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 9020B Engine problem

Tuley ยท 2015-04-29 19:43

Hey guys, I have a 1999 9020B and the four cylinder Cummings started smoking blue out the blow by tube. I had just went down a steep bank and after a short time it started spewing blue smoke out the blow by tube (smelled like engine oil). Got it back up on the road and low oil pressure warning was flashing. Shut it down, checked oil and it was right at add. Loaded it up took it home and later added oil,fired it up and let it idle, it went through auto warm up, no smoke but low oil pressure warning came on again. Had to do other things and two days I unloaded and walked toward shop at an idle it spewed smoke out the blow by tube again, and the oil pressure warning came on again. I shut it down and put a oil pressure gauge in plug on top of oil filter housing, fired it up and it had 20 lbs idling, but started smoking blue out the exhaust now(a lot of smoke). There is also a loud ticking that's new,so I pulled the valve covers and no broke springs or extra play in the rockers. Started it and it seams to be oiling good up there. Any ideas? It has had a few hour meters but probably has 8-9000 hrs and was running good and used no oil up until this time.

Replies3
  1. #1Shimmy12015-04-29 23:05

    Rod bearing failed. More than likely No. 4. The blue smoke is the oil burning out of the failed bearing. Better pull the pan.

  2. #2Tuley2015-04-30 19:13

    Shimmy1 you are right. Pulled the pan and the pick up screen was plugged with some sludge looking stuff, number 4 rod is tight on the crank.

  3. #3Shimmy12015-04-30 20:41

    I hate being right on something like this. Yuck. :throwup. Reason I guessed number 4 is I know the oil pump is in the front on a B series and that would be the first place to starve for oil.