Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 90XT rim offset?

Shotgun Russ ยท 2020-04-06 18:11

I have a 90XT with solid tires and would like to run tracks. I obviously need to switch to pneumatic tires. All the track companies spec out what you need by stock wheels(which I do not have). I have looked at case parts diagrams and there is no description for rim offset. I will most likely get the 12-16.5 tires because that is the widest most track mfrs. will fit. I will need to know if I need spacers for the rims I buy (trying to find some used) from the original rim spec that came with the machine. Any help is appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1KSSS2020-04-06 22:13

    If you get the stock OEM rim, you can simply flip the wheel around which reverses the offset and you don't need spacers to run steel tracks. I did this on 95XT and 465 machines. I am about positive that the wheels are the same for the 90XT. This is with the 12X16.5 tires.

  2. #2Shotgun Russ2020-04-06 23:05

    That is good to know thanks. I need to check prices at the dealer on rims but have been looking for a used set with tires.

  3. #3KSSS2020-04-06 23:52

    I may have a set of rims, no tires. I cant remember what machine they came off of, but I have a set, I would have to check the offset with a 95XT to make sure they are that machine. If your interested pm me.

  4. #4ThreeCW2020-04-07 02:23

    There is some good rim offset information on the Prowler website. Here is a snapshot of your 90XT. From the above, your rim offset is 1.44 inches "Inset". To decipher "Inset", check out the following: So on your 90XT, with factory rims, your bolt plate is 1.44" Inset, which give you a narrower wheel stance. So with factory spec rims, the back of the bolt plate to the inner edge of the tire should be the tire width (12") divided by 2 to get the center of the tire (12 / 2 = 6"). To the 6", add on the 1.44" Inset = 7.44" (I will round up to 7.5"). Now take a wheel off of the skid steer and measure the distance from the body of the skid steer to the outside edge of the wheel hub. As an example only, if the body to the wheel hub was 10" and you have the 7.5" bolt plate to inner tire distance, when mounted, you would have 10" - 7.5" = 2.5" of tire clearance between the tire and skid steer body (example calculation only ... you need to check your actual wheel hub to body distance). Once you have that and compare it to the width of the tracks, you will be able to determine if you have enough clearance between the tire and the body with factory spec rims. I ran into this same offset problem on my CAT 242B ... the way it was originally set up, it had low offset wheels with a 60" outside tire width and not enough clearance to install tire chains. I had to install new rims with more offset in order to widen the stance to 66" and get enough clearance to run chains. You can find more offset information from the Prowler site: https://prowlertracks.com/skid-steer-wheels/ https://rubbertrack.com/blog/how-to-read-skid-steer-wheel-offsets/ And you might get some more information for this previous HEF thread too: HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5Shotgun Russ2020-04-07 12:23

    Thanks lots of great info. Should be able to get it figured out now

  6. #6ThreeCW2020-04-07 16:00

    I did not account that 12-16.5" tires are not actually 12" wide ... that must be a nominal width. My new Camso SKS 532 tires measure 10.75" wide on the tread blocks and 12.75" wide on the rim guards which is the maximum inflated tire width. Other tires will likely be somewhat different.