Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rebuild #2 Has Started Case 1845c

Larpy · 2020-04-05 16:37

Thanks for all the input! Here are the before pics and the color scheme most of you picked. The sand blasting started yesterday along with disassembly. 800 lbs of sand and counting! More pics to come!

Replies49
  1. #1Larpy2020-04-13 23:43

    Sandblasted, sanded and epoxy primed the cab this weekend. I painted it gloss black but forgot that picture. The prep takes some time but it is worth the outcome. The main body will hopefully be in paint this weekend! It is coming along!

  2. #2Welder Dave2020-04-14 03:04

    I thought #2 was picked but #4 without the colored wheels looks better I think. Do you do these for resale and make any profit? It doesn't look that bad to begin with.

  3. #3Larpy2020-04-14 22:41

    I do them for fun. I enjoy tearing them apart and getting them looking fresh. I am not sure what I am going to do with this one.

  4. #4kshansen2020-04-15 11:38

    Think it would fit in a large FlatRate box? You could ship it to me!

  5. #5Larpy2020-04-15 20:55

    More painting today. I did mostly panels and controls today as well as the main base. Starting to come together!

  6. #6Larpy2020-04-15 20:58

    With the both lights on.

  7. #7Larpy2020-04-15 21:16

    I also changed the color scheme! Got a GREAT deal on some quality Nason paint so it motivated me.

  8. #8sims2020-04-16 06:41

    @Larpy ; How do you hump heavy metal pieces into your booth? That rear door weighs a bunch. BTW nice work. SimS

  9. #9kshansen2020-04-16 09:17

    I think this is going to be another one that is look better than the ones Case put in the trade shows when they were new! Just need to get the rims chrome plated!

  10. #10Larpy2020-04-16 11:12

    I carried them in by hand. My back hurts! I do have a forklift my buddies shop for the real heavy stuff. Makes it easier. I used it to place the last one I re-did into the booth.

  11. #11Larpy2020-04-16 11:14

    I hope. The PR guy from Case International wanted to interview me for an article after the last one. I never got back to him. I just have fun doing it and learning.

  12. #12Welder Dave2020-04-16 14:07

    Think ROYALTIES from designing their paint scheme and graphics.

  13. #13Larpy2020-04-16 15:33

    I like that idea lol!

  14. #14Welder Dave2020-04-16 15:41

    You'll have to share. There's been some terrible graphics put on some machines.

  15. #15Bootheal2020-04-19 22:35

    Job must have been early in your family tree! Very impressive from someone who can’t.

  16. #16Matthew Mattholew2020-04-21 09:01

    Looking great. Following your progress. I am going to look at an 1845c tomorrow and would like to do the same thing to it and my father in laws 843.

  17. #17Larpy2020-04-21 20:44

    Today was spent sand blasting and assembling the control platform. I have learned to do this in steps where I still have the ability to move the unit under its own power. That requires some thought but makes it easier for blasting, paint booth time, etc.

  18. #18Larpy2020-04-21 20:47

    It is a fun project. Take lots of pictures along the way and I mean lots from every angle! You will be happy you did on reassembly. I have hundreds of photos from this rebuild and my last. I do this without a time line so there is no stress although I do still throw a wrench or two every day in frustration lol!

  19. #19ThreeCW2020-04-22 01:11

    I am enjoying your thread. Thanks for sharing your rebuild

  20. #20Larpy2020-04-22 20:19

    Today I removed the boom and sand blasted it entirely. It will come together soon! The fun begins after paint!

  21. #21Tinkerer2020-04-27 11:34

    Me to !!!

  22. #22Larpy2020-04-29 21:46

    The sandblasting continues. Today I removed the hydraulic lines getting ready for the final sandblasting. I am pondering removing the engine on this rebuild before I paint. I did get new wheels and tires of another 1845C I bought last week. Going to sell that one after doing a little work on it. Hopefully in the pai t booth next weekend!

  23. #23petepilot2020-04-29 22:16

    what grit are you using? looks good

  24. #24Larpy2020-04-29 22:47

    I use a 50/50 slag to blast using a kettle pot.

  25. #25petepilot2020-04-29 22:56

    looks like you`re able to control the dust pretty well

  26. #26Larpy2020-05-01 19:51

    Spent two hours in the paint booth today getting the boom set. The epoxy primer and paint are done as of an hour ago. Tomorrow morning I will get all the hydraulic cylinders, leveling bars and plates painted as well as the new wheels.

  27. #27Larpy2020-05-02 14:51

    Did a bit more painting this morning.

  28. #28Larpy2020-05-02 14:52

    Couple more

  29. #29marka6832020-05-04 14:02

    Would anyone know where I can get a complete OEM service manual for a Case 1845C?

  30. #30Larpy2020-05-04 19:44

    Hunt ebay but make sure it corresponds with the range of years your machine falls into

  31. #31Larpy2020-05-06 18:13

    Engine out yesterday and remainder of the sand blasting was done today. Paint booth Friday evening!

  32. #32popsiclepete2020-05-08 12:49

    Keep up the good work and please continue posting update picture as regularly as possible, it's nice to see some quality refurbishing happening not just a paint spray rebuild. I look forward to seeing the finished project. One question I have, Do you resell these and is so do you get back your investment of Time and Money spent?

  33. #33Larpy2020-05-08 23:18

    This one I am going to sell. I will make little money on it but I really enjoy the work. It is satisfying to me when I take something old and beat up and make it new again. These have to be bought right in order for someone not to come out in the black. My best buddy owns a large body shop so I am blessed to have the equipment and facilities to do it. I work on it after they close.

  34. #34Larpy2020-05-08 23:20

    Into the paint booth after prepping ALL day! I decided to remove all the hydraulic line with the exception of the drive motors. So much easier to paint. I will be painting it tomorrow morning.

  35. #35Larpy2020-05-10 18:23

    I finished the remainder of the painting this weekend. Onto reassembly and frustrations!

  36. #36Larpy2020-05-10 18:24

    More pics

  37. #37Larpy2020-05-12 08:18

    The Cummins is cleaned, painted and ready to reinstall.

  38. #38Larpy2020-06-01 23:55

    A few updates

  39. #39Larpy2020-06-01 23:56

    A few more.

  40. #40popsiclepete2020-06-02 09:19

    Looks good, you will have a his and hers once you're done. Does the better half know how to operate the skid steer? My wife has been hounding me since we bought ours and i still haven't taught her, maybe I'm scared of Job Security?

  41. #41Larpy2020-06-02 22:35

    Lol! Thanks! No she has not ventured into the seat yet but she does help me work on them as long as she does not chip a nail!

  42. #42popsiclepete2020-06-03 14:33

    I do appreciate the work your doing and looking forward the posts. If required it sounds like she would good for touch painting if required.

  43. #43Legdoc2020-06-03 18:26

    Wow, the attention to detail! While I have an I-R 185 screw compressor and multiple spray rigs I envy your down draft spray room. I would be dangerous with one. I'd go broke buying media, epoxy and urethane but all my stuff would look new. Prior to blasting white I always round any edges by grinding and flap wheeling as the paint likes a radius much more than a square edge. Upcoming barn will have a small "poor man's"spray booth.

  44. #44Larpy2020-06-04 00:29

    The benefits of my buddy owning an amazing high end body shop!

  45. #45Larpy2020-07-15 23:30

    My project is coming along! Added the rear lights, backup camera and the front flood/spit light today.

  46. #46sims2020-07-16 08:58

    Larpy; Where did you mount the B/U camera display? I can't find a spot that I'm totally happy about. Thanks; SimS

  47. #47Larpy2020-07-16 11:34

    I always cover the opening in the top of the ROPS unit with Lexan and mount the monitor under the covered grate far enough forward so I can see it. Works great!

  48. #48sims2020-07-17 09:15

    Clever. I never thought of that. That will also keep the rain off the seat too!

  49. #49Colorado Auto man2020-11-05 12:48

    Larpy, Are you restoring this for you to use or do you do this to sell them?