As I have said I am old school, no doubt. But my question is...Do any old time extendahoe operators do what I do? I cross my left hand over the right when using the 4 lever operation for digging with Case Extendahoe. I catch a lot of heckling from the younger operators that use 2 fingers on either hand because the extendahoe is pretty much standard practice. The extendahoe was not very common in my early years of operating, which I guess is the reason for the unorthadox way of using it (according to the young guns)!
Nope i dont do it that way. But when we were at the Case rodeo i saw one guy do that and our salesman said he heard somewhere that the guys that do it that way are used to ford backhoe controls. Is there something different where the ford controls are something like that??
Ford controls are flip flopped from those on Cases. Ive ran both and have yet to understand the need to cross the hands. All it takes is a little adapting for a lot more comfort.
~14 years ago, the guy that I worked for had a Case 580 Super-K. When he originally got it, it had what he called 'Wobble-Sticks'. He swapped out the controls for individual sticks because that was what he was used to on the 'E' that he had before. I haven't run a machine with joysticks.
HAHA, you are old! lol, just kidding...well you probably are older than me so that does make you old....I don't do that. I would end up taking something out if I did it that way....I use the two finger thing and just scoot the right hand over to use the e-stick if needed.
i use my right hand for two levers and left for two levers....however the older guys i work with do exactly what you do...i have tried it a few times but can't get it down because i have trained myself to use 2 and 2
Thats funny, I thought I was the only one left!
It's been years since I owned my E-series, but I think I remember that the E-hoe lever was shorter, so I ended up running the boom and stick with my right hand, and just the bucket with the left. When the E-hoe was needed, well, the left just seemed to naturally volunteer. It only got a little goofy looking when I was sending everything 'outwards' for a long reach at once. May have even been known then to push on the bucket lever with my knee, but I'll never confirm that for sure.
HELLO TO ALL, this is not a reply. this is a question. i am trying to restore a case 530 backhoe, 1959 model. the water pump is leaking, and i am trying to find one. the company that says they may be able to get one says, old means big bucks, and this would be a new pump. so i am also looking for a rebuild kit, or a rebuilt pump. anybody know of a company that may be able to help me? thanks. wlbrown new member wright city, mo.
Here is a link to an old thread here, discussing parts sources. However, I fail to see how any good automotive machine shop could not give you a decent price on a G188 water pump, rebuilt or new. I'm assuming it's diesel , anyway a gas water pump may be the same. Make sure you have the engine serial # with you when getting a quote, it's on the middle of the block near the bottom on the right side. Phil
HELLO, it is a gas engine. i talked to a heavy equipment dealer, and they said they could get me a pump. it will cost $275.00. this was monday, three days, and i have not heard from them. i may have to go look other places. thanks for the reply. wlbrown wright city, mo.
Thanks for the hi-jack....
SIR, don't understand your message. thanks for the hi-jack. the way i understand this, i have to go to a post and post three times, before i can make a thread of my own. is this correct? if not, sorry for the hi-jack. wlbrown wright city, mo.
wlbrown I have had some luck in matching seals for older water pumps by going to well pump rebuilder
I run Case controls with extendahoe and boom in right hand, stick and bucket in left. I'm a new Case control user, never used to run Case, but I prefer them to wobblesticks by a long shot.
My 580E was a two-wheel drive, and I probably pushed and pulled that machine for miles over the years, trying to run the front bucket, tires, diff lock, steering and boom/stick at the same time. It got a little busy, so the boom/stick on one hand was the only way to do it. I also remember that my very first job with that machine (in other words, when I was learning) was a push-me, pull-me job in April, right after breakup, during the time of the Westray mine disaster/rescue in Nova Scotia. That story was all the news then, and that's how I remember the timing.
Wow alot can happen to these things!
I enjoyed this thread. Brings back memories of changing hoses around to make thing work the way I am used to.
My dad ran a old case ck w/ extendahoe for many years. then jumped on a super L and ext lever is on opposite side. He does the cross over. I guess u cant teach a old dog new tricks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is impressive seeing folks run thes machines. I have worked for cat for 13 years now and have played with several machines in our dirt pile. I feel I could be a fair operator on one of our machines. That being said I went to see my dad and brother in Oklahoma and they had a new Deere in the yard and was going to pull a tree out with it. I hopped up on it and it had three levers and swing pedals. I made the biggest fool of myself trying to figure it out. Had to let my little brother run the machine. That was a very humbling experiance.
I run 2 and 2 in each hand. More natural havin boom on one hand dipper on the other. Ive yet to see any operators do it any different round here.
Sounds like some of these machines, you have to be a drummer to operate them...lol @youngone1234 ya, I remember doing that on my first massey harris tractor. I had switched the bucket tilt hoses to match the loader lift. Pull back and the loader would lift, pull back on bucket at the same time and it would empty. Really screwed others who tried to run it...lol
Wow I must be the only one who does the left hand over on a 3 stick lmao! I have caught myself doing this.