Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE BACKHOE 580SE BRAKES

DAVID MC PEEK ยท 2020-09-28 18:32

What make my left side brake lock on a 580SE Case backhoe ? This backhoe has disc brakes same as the 580k models. When I pull the brake cover off and try to rotate the wheel it rotate just fine. but when i put the brake cover plate back on the left wheel will not move at all. I check the actuator and steel ball, they looked ok . Any help on this I would greatly appreciated it Thanks Dave..

Replies29
  1. #1alrman2020-09-28 23:45

    Congratulations on your first post @DAVID MC PEEK There are a few variations with the 580E brakes. Does it have a pivot lever on top of the brake housing? OR a hollow slave cylinder with a green dust cover? Is your machine dry or wet disc? Does the brake pedal feel normal?

  2. #2DAVID MC PEEK2020-09-29 08:40

    ALRMAN My 580SE Case backhoe ,has hollow slave cylinders with green dust covers. It has wet brakes with disc and steel plates. The brake pedal goes down around 1-2 inches when you press on the pedal. Can the slave cylinder be stuck ? Thanks ..

  3. #3alrman2020-09-29 21:53

    Yes, the slaves could be stuck, also the piston return spring inside the cylinder could be broken or missing. OR the brake disc assembly has been installed incorrectly. Should be 2 x brake discs & only 1 steel plate on the outside of the brake actuator.

  4. #4DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-01 14:26
  5. #5DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-01 14:29
  6. #6DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-01 14:43

    ALR Hello, My brakes was hanging up, when my problem started. So I pulled the brake covers of and removed all the disc and steel plates, replaced them with after market parts. I call the Case dealer parts and they sent me a picture of how all the disc and steel plates go together, So i did that, and put it back together, Today I removed the slave cylinder, and now the left wheel rolls just fine. So does that means, that slave cylinder is stuck or broken spring like you said ? Also how do you take this slave cylinder apart to put new seals and spring into it ? Thanks ! Sorry for asking for help , Hope you have a great day! DAVE...

  7. #7alrman2020-10-01 17:21

    There is a circlip/snap ring that retains the spring & piston - just remove it - being careful to control the spring tension as you do....... Assuming you have got the stacking of the plates & discs correct, it's possible that you simply had the brakes adjusted too high - you should have at least 3" of pedal travel before the brakes are applied...... just a thought

  8. #8DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-01 19:14
  9. #9DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-01 19:19

    ALR. IHAVE THE DISC AND PLATES IN CORRECT I CHECK AND RECHECK 4 TIMES TO MAKE SURE THE DISC AND PLATES ARE IN CORRECT. WHEN I REMOVE THE SNAP RING THEN PULL THE PISTION AND SPRING OUT THE TOP OR BOTTOM ? DAVE..

  10. #10alrman2020-10-02 00:25

    The piston pushes out through the top of the cylinder after the snap ring & spring have been removed ....... that's why the snap/retaining ring is there, it's stopping the piston coming out

  11. #11DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-03 09:10

    ALR All that I can say is Thank You! Thank You! for your advice on my brake problem on my 580 SE backhoe . I will order 2 kits for the slave cylinders and 2 brake hoses. I will give you a update when i get done. Hope you have a great day !

  12. #12DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-03 18:48

    ALR I took of the slave cylinders today, and the brake hoses , and one of the pistons is hanging down more then the other. T will try to send you a picture of them. If I can get it to go. Dave...

  13. #13DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-03 19:05

    ALR If you can send me your email address I can send you a picture of the slave cylinders.. Thanks Dave the guy with the 580 se case with broken brakes !! LOL..

  14. #14Tinkerer2020-10-03 19:40

    If you can ----post them here so other members can see and learn from them.

  15. #15alrman2020-10-03 23:38

    It's not hard to post pictures @DAVID MC PEEK Have a read of this maybe - HeavyEquipmentForums

  16. #16DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-05 15:11

    HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE PISTON OUT OF A SLAVE CYLINDER ON A 580SE CASE BACKHOE WITH DISC AND STEEL PLATES ? MY ARE STUCK I TAP THEM WITH RUBBER HAMMER THEY WILL NOT MOVE. AFRAID TO HIT TO HARD, COULD BRECK IT ? DAVID..

  17. #17alrman2020-10-05 16:29

    With the snap ring & spring removed, place the cylinder in a vice or workshop press & squeeze it together. Once the piston has begun to move, it should tap out.

  18. #18DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-05 19:07

    ALR SOUNDS GOOD I WILL TRY PUTTING THEM IN MY FRIEND WORKSHOP PRESS, AND PRESS THEM OUT. UPDATE AFTER DONE. THANKS DAVID...

  19. #19DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-06 21:16

    580 SE CASE BRAKES, WHAT MAKES THE SLAVE CYLINDER STICK OPEN OR CLOSED. IT SAT FOR 6 MONTHS BEFORE IT WAS MOVED ? THANKS DAVID..

  20. #20DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-09 05:22
  21. #21DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-09 05:36

    I FOUND OUT YESTERDAY THAT BOTH SLAVE CYLINDER WAS STUCK,ON MY 580SE CASE BACKHOE ONE UP AND ONE DOWN, I TOOK THEM APART BUY USING A WORKSHOP PRESS , HAS SOME RUST ON THE PISTON END GOING TO THE ACTUATOR , CLEAN THE RUST UP WITH FINE SANDPAPER. NOW IT WORKS GREAT FIRM BUT CAN MOVE THE PISTON BACK AND FORWARD WITH MY FINGERS . QUESTION WHEN YOU APPLY THE BRAKE PEDAL WHICH WAY DOES THE PISTON GO UP OR DOWN ? THANKS DAVID... 10/09/2020

  22. #22melben2020-10-09 07:42

    The bottom end of the body sits against the housing and the piston moves up to pull the actuator rod up.

  23. #23DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-09 08:31

    Question is so when I push down on the brake pedal does the piston go up or down to stop the backhoe ?

  24. #24alrman2020-10-09 22:36
  25. #25DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-10 07:20

    I just order 2 new brake hoses for the slave cylinders, so I can put it back together next week. Question should I bleed the slave cylinders after I install them, and before I test the brake out ? Or will they bleed there self ? 580 S E Case Backhoe..

  26. #26DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-11 17:02

    I just put on 2 new brake hoses on a Case 580 S E Backhoe, I bleed the slave cylinder 4 times until al the air was gone, them did it 2 more times. My question is how do you adjust the nut on the slave cylinder that puts pressure on the disc. It has wet brake , when I try to adjust them it either to tight or to loose, so I got 2 manual for 580 super e both only show dry brake, can anyone tell me the correct way to adjust them . I would greatly appreciate it !!

  27. #27alrman2020-10-11 21:56

    Just keep turning the tapered nut at the slave cylinder & then checking the brake pedal height (your 'assistant' can do that part) You want to have about 3 inches of pedal travel to when the brakes are applied . Any less & the discs will drag & apply themselves while driving the machine. Then be sure to use the locknut to keep the adjusting nut in place.

  28. #28DAVID MC PEEK2020-10-14 05:34

    I adjusted my brakes on my Case 580 S E Backhoe, by turning the tapered nut at the slave cylinder, and then measure the pedal travel and got 3" of pedal travel. Now my brakes work great much better ! I follow your direction ,and now got great brakes again ! This was my first time changing brakes on a backhoe, I hope someone else can read this post and learn hoe to fix brakes for the first time! Thanks to ARL !

  29. #29billyjack2023-10-24 12:33

    Can you send me a link to my email [email protected]