Hey y'all, I'm new here and new to diesel mechanics. I am a mechanic for Big O Tire, but my boss puts me on a lot of farm equipment. So I'm a little lost. Here's the situation: Working on a case 580K backhoe. Year unknown, and came in on the middle of the job. Someone had removed the motor to replace the flexplate, and stopped in the middle of it. So I replaced the flexplate and torque converter, reassembled everything and installed the motor. After installation it fired right up and ran for about 10 minutes then died. Now it won't restart without cranking it over for about 60 seconds, which I know isn't good for a diesel. Somebody PLEASE SAVE ME!
after cranking for 60 seconds does it then start?
Are you getting good fuel to injection pump and to the injectors?
Yes I am. When I bled the injectors it had a steady stream of fuel coming out before I closed them
sometimes
I'm assuming you have the CAV injection pump on this machine. If so remove the fuel shutoff solenoid and pull the plunger out of it and reinstall without plunger. If it starts easy then you have an issue with the solenoid or the voltage going to it, may want to check voltage first.
I have a couple thoughts: A) You did not pull this machine apart, could there be a rag in a fuel line, or a pinched fuel line. B) I have seen Algae in the fuel tank plug up fuel filters. I would run engine off an aux tank directly to the injection pump, gravity fed to eliminate fuel supply issues.
I pulled it, removed the plunger and it was still the same thing. Replaced the solenoid anyway with a new one. If I crank it for 60 seconds, it'll start, but not otherwise...
Ok. I will try. I replaced both the fuel line and the return line when I installed the motor
I thank y'all for any and all suggestions.
The check valve in the lift pump may not be holding - if so, replace the pump.
Not super familiar with that system, but the lift pump would act as the check valve in that system. The gravity feed tank on the hood should over come the check valve meaning, if it runs good with a gravity tank the pump is fine, and he can move onto diagnosing the fuel lines , lift pump, filter housings and tank. Pull the banjo fittings off the fuel filter housing, and see if there is junk in there, I had a machine once that wouldnt run, found a decomposed mouse in the banjo fittings in the filter housing. Owner had taken the fuel tank off at one point, working on the engine like you are, left it in the barn and a mouse got in the tank.
My 580K starts hard if the fuel tank isn't full. I believe the primer pump doesn't easily pick up prime if it has to lift fuel. I haven't tried pressurizing the tank. There is always a loose fit where the solenoid valve gets power from the ignition switch.