Machine is a 2000 case cx240 with Cummins 5.9 24valve, it starts fine but it sounds like it has a miss to it, when you turn up throttle it continues to cutout all the way through the rpms, it is an intermittent miss every 3-5 seconds and sounds different each time it misses. When you use any hydraulic function it draws the motor down and stalls it. On the diagnostics I have code e0374 vp44 fuel shutdown error, e0115 crankshaft position sensor and e0278 lift pump relay. On the machine side of the diagnostics it shows now faults. I’ve replaced crank sensor, lift pump, all filter, oil, drained tank and cleaned inside, fuel lines, injectors and crossover tubes. Vp44 has 10psi fuel supplies to it under load, turbo boost is about 20psi. When running the vp44 sounds like it has cavitation in the high pressure lines and when engine is not running but ignition is on the vp44 makes a clicking noise. Before all this the machine ran great, now it has me scratching my head. Any ideas on what way to go from here would be great.
Any hard start?
No it’s always started rite up, only time I’ve had hard starting is after taking any lines apart and had to prime the air out, it would turn over a bit before firing up but when it’s primed it always starts up with about 3 cranks.
did you ever figure it out.. having similar issues.. replaced vp44, lift and injectors
These machines are a headache to diagnose. Check all your wiring especially to your crank position sensor. Ours was shorting out, also make sure you get a good crank sensor we had one bad out of the box and really made us scratch our heads. The crank sensor is a big deal it tells the ecm the motor is running and powered up the vp44. You can call me if you need some help 563-579-1843 leave a message if I don’t answer.
So the EOin the display under DIA1 and so on.. those codes.. when I was in the Cummings part of the manual download.. the codes mean different things than the case 240 faults in the cx manual.. I'm assuming you go by the case codes. The Cummings looks to be a generic version with blink codes but has good diagnostic directions.. that 115 means boost in case and crank sensor in cumming..??
And would a failing crank sensor start to work once up to temp.?
Unplug the boost sensor and see how it runs. Also check the fuel pressure at the fuel filter at inlet and outlet.
It’s gota be your crank sensor or harness, it could possibly be the ecm going bad as well. Do you still have the lift pump wired directly to the ecm or have you added a relay in that circuit? The reason I ask is for some reason the lift pump draws a lot through the ecm and gets it hot and also messes with your 5v sensor circuits. The relay basically uses the feed to the pump of the ecm to close the relay and you run your power supply from the battery through the relay to your lift pump. I feel your pain I went through my entire machine twice before getting it rite. The boost sensor should have nothing to do with your problem your having. When my boost sensor went bad it would cause the machine to lug down and stall like it was underpowered and that’s because the hydraulic destroying valve is controlled by your engine load which is sensed from the boost sensor. No boost showing on the sensor shows the computer there’s no load on the engine and doesn’t destroke the hydraulics so it tries to overwork itself.
I kinda thought there was a factory relay down by the oil pan.. maybe it runs something different, your codes are a bit different than my manual, when i gwt by mine ill share it but I've never put a crank sensor in, I'll get one coming
They are easy to change, one bolt that holds a clip on it. They just slide in the hole and have a oring to seal them, if it doesn’t want to come out easy you’ll have to pry on it with a screwdriver and it’s located on the counterweight side of the engine block kind of behind where the fuel pump and filters are you’ll find it. Let me know if that fixes the issue.
So weird. Enough I changed cam sensor to no avail. Wiggle every wire no change eo115.. then unplug boost sensor motor squares away after 30 seconds eo115 goes away and eo123 is new code.. have the crank sensor on order also gonna get a boost sensor.. after that gonna go for a engine harness
plugged boost back in and its idiling fine no codes I am going to go work it some see what happens i machine downed the crank speed, boost and may as well throw the manifold air temp one in... since they all use the 5v refence together maybe one is giving fits.
they didn't have the crank sensor.. I am going to relay the pump like you said, illl have to look at schematic but we did put that cube relay in new down by backup alarm harness really looks ok and i wiggled moved and felt it all.. without taking it out hard to see. but ill replace it if im taking it out to look, i did unplug new cam sensor while running and it made no difference hopefully the crank one comes tomorrow
My chart is different eo115 says boost??
ran all day after plugging and unplugging I know I'm posting allot.. but i think it will help the next guy with a 240..
Check your fuel shutoff relay mounted on the frame those sockets get worn and loose contact.