Hello all, I’m back to this case cx160c looking for thoughts from people with more case experience than me. It’s been a ongoing issue over the years they have done multiple water pumps, thermostats, sensors, top end rebuild with new aluminum head, 2 different dealers can’t figure it out they called for new egr valve and cooler. Owner is getting tired of putting money into it and I’m just trying to help figure it out rather than throw parts. It runs fine for 20mins working hard but not super hard but then coolant temp climbs all the way up let off controls for maybe 1-2mins and instantly drops back to operating/middle of gauge. When hot temp gun only reads 150 degrees coolant at thermostat around 130 at top and bottom of radiator. Hydraulics don’t get over 100 degrees at this time at cooler, around the pump, or valve blocks around the area( checked blocks just to see if I could find a hot spot). Radiator has been out multiple times and checked and cleaned- all good. wiring to temp sensor checks out and has continuity to ecm (3 prong connector all seem fine) they claim dealer triple checked all that wiring is fine. If anyone has any thoughts I could check out would be much appreciated I tried to include a lot of info in here may have forgot some. Thanks in advance!
Continuity testing to ECM will tell you if you are on the correct path, but will not tell you if the wires are able to handle heat, vibration and current. The wire disconnected on each end and a simple 5 amp bulb hooked to Battery Positive with a pigtail connection attached to one end of wire with other end hooked up to ground will load test the wire. Leave it on for 5- 10 minutes to see if the wires get hot or pop. If it does , you have found the location needing repair. Have never seen dealer shops myself test like this. They just change harnesses, is my experience which sometimes works but can get really expensive fast. How many hours on your machine. Simon C
Did the dash monitor say the machine was hot,or a good temperature gun,is what I am not sure about. Simon C
Thank you, I will give that a whirl when I get back to that machine. Yes the dash monitor will say Overheat (assuming you know, it comes up as engine coolant/hydraulic emblems which is why I put some time into hydraulics also just to be sure) and it pops up in the red box when I allow it to to reach the top of the coolant temp gauge. The temp gun in use seems to read right every time I use it thus far. 6760 hours
So re-reading your original post the temperature gauge does not match your tempeerature gun. Could the temperature gun be faulty as I had a good one go sour. If that is the case then you need to find out what is causing all the heat such as a relief valve, bypassing cylinder or something else. If the temperature is accurate then you have wiring problems. Is there any chance you could check the temperature gun against a vehicle or something similar, cause if it is pointing to wiring, then you have lots of testing to do. Simon C