Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case cx210 wont start

J.Hunt62 · 2020-04-02 17:44

engine wont start . no power to lift pump or injection pump. I suspect the vp 44 relay but I cant find it on the machine. could anyone tell me where this relay might be located. thanks

Replies17
  1. #1partsandservice2020-04-02 23:02

    I can't say for sure on a case application, but on tier 2 Cummins that relay is located in the engine harness. On the injection pump side of the engine near the flywheel housing, it usually had a long extention that is often bundled up and zipped. This relay is on the end off that long off shoot. IIRC that relay only provides power to the injection pump pin 6 when key switched on. The engine ecu controls the lift pump. Momentarily bumping the starter should make the lift pump run for about 30 seconds.

  2. #2J.Hunt622020-04-03 08:47

    thanks for the reply. im new to this forum and not sure im doing it right because you are the first person to reply. im going to work on that machine today and I will use your advise.

  3. #3J.Hunt622020-04-03 09:08

    I am a new member, trying to navigate this system. Does anyone know why I have an eyeball viewing me? I have a piece of equipment with no power to lift or injection pump. Any thoughts? There are no blown fuses, suspect the problem is a VP 44 relay but cannot located it on equipment. Also no active codes in diagnostic 1.

  4. #4digger242j2020-04-03 10:20

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, J.Hunt62. I merged two of your threads here, and moved the discussion to Excavators, from General Industry Questions. The one in the Test forum I'm just going to close. Hopefully some more people will see it and you can get all the advice you need. If you're referring to the little eyeball looking icon next to your threads, all that means is that you've made a post there, so now you are 'watching' that thread, and you'll see a notification when someone makes a reply.

  5. #5J.Hunt622020-04-03 11:19

    Thank you for your help. Hopefully this will help me get the answers I need. I will eventually learn to navigate this.

  6. #6digger242j2020-04-03 11:33

    It's not hard once you get it figured out. And obviously you've already figured out how to post threads and reply to them, so you're well on your way. One thing you have to keep in mind is that this is a sort of virtual "bulletin board." People come by from time to time and read what's been posted, and if they are inclined, post replies. It's not like a help desk, where there's somebody waiting to pick up the phone when you call. It usually works pretty well, as we have lots of very well informed members and by and large they enjoy helping others. You just might have to wait for the right guy to come along though, which could take a day or two. (And regrettably, sometimes nobody does have the answer...)

  7. #7highwayghost2020-04-03 13:16

    Did you try starting it with starting fluid, although I prefer to use some gasoline in a spray bottle. See if that will get it to run. I recently fixed a Dodge PU with the VP44. It would not start on its's own but would start on gas, it didn't really like ether, and then run fine but would do the no start often. Most were saying lift pump, injectors or VP44 but I wasn't convinced. Once running it ran well for having 250k miles. Ended up being the crankshaft sensor.

  8. #812ValveHyundai2020-04-03 13:29

    When you say there’s no power to the pumps, I’m assuming you’ve confirmed that with a multimeter? And it does have power everywhere else?

  9. #9biggerhammer2020-04-07 22:31

    Does it crank?

  10. #10rmllarue912020-04-07 23:13

    On cx290 relay hangs on counter weight side of engine it's a foot or so piece of wire so could be tied or laying in belly pans.

  11. #11J.Hunt622020-04-09 10:43

    thanks for all the replies. I found the vp 44 relay it only has 2.9 volts to the coil side . traced it back to the ecm and that is the voltage coming out. wire harness is good. jumped the switch side of vp44 relay engine starts and runs. but falls on its face when under a load. active codes in diag I are 0115 0372 0443 0422 I am going to replace the engine ecm . but wanted more opinions before I do.

  12. #1212ValveHyundai2020-04-09 17:36

    The signal from the ecm should just be firing the relay, I’m no 24v Cummins expert but 2.9V should be plenty to fire any relay. You should have a pole to ground, a pole to battery, and a signal to fire the relay. If you aren’t getting full juice at the relay there’s probably something else going on. This may be a dumb question but have you thoroughly gone through all your fuses?

  13. #13J.Hunt622020-04-09 17:57

    yes I have gone through all fuses . but I did not think 2.9 volts was enough power to fire a 24 volt relay . most ecm I deal with signal with 5 to 7 volts.

  14. #1412ValveHyundai2020-04-09 18:32

    You could be right. Do you have 24 volts going to the relay?

  15. #15J.Hunt622020-04-10 08:56

    yes I can jump the switch side of the relay and engine will start and run but high idle is 1700 and engine bogs down when you work a function. but I think I would be wise to buy a relay and go from there. thanks for the feedback.

  16. #1612ValveHyundai2020-04-10 14:13

    In that case you may have been on the right track with the ecm, but you’re right it doesn’t hurt to rule out the relay first

  17. #17TravellingTec2020-04-16 12:57

    Did you get that machine going? The VP 44 relays on CX 210s were a problem sometimes when they start to go out they have a hard time making good contact. The machine will then sound like it’s bogging down. If it’s still putting up codes in diagnosis 1 I have the code book and could help you out