Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu pc200-5 rebuild time due to excessive blowby

davecampbell ยท 2020-04-02 18:21

I'm not finding engine serial number or model number. Any hints on where to look? My unit serial number is A70257 Also, can I use aftermarket parts to save costs? Are there any to steer clear of?

Replies22
  1. #1Tones2020-04-02 18:53

    After market parts from China. Your digger could get a virus and be locked for years

  2. #2heymccall2020-04-02 20:00

    Should be a tag here

  3. #3davecampbell2020-04-02 21:46

    Thanks, I'll try to get a mirror or camera in there tomorrow.

  4. #4heymccall2020-04-02 22:03

    All day long, it looks like S6D95L-1, but the tag will be the clincher.

  5. #5John C.2020-04-02 22:33

    It is a S6D95. Very common engine for Komatsu. It shouldn't be hard to source parts but I would check with Martin in their used parts division up in Missoula, Mt. before spending time all over the internet. He got me a couple of WA600 pumps for about half price of Komatsu factory parts. His number is 406 523-1121.

  6. #6davecampbell2020-04-02 22:55

    Thanks, I believe my tag is covered up by throttle servo.

  7. #7davecampbell2020-04-02 23:16

    With shipping it comes to $600. Definitely cheap unless its junk!

  8. #8dozr2020-04-03 19:06

    what brand of parts what co built them

  9. #9davecampbell2020-04-03 22:35

    I don't know. Judging by price, I'm worried it could be inferior quality

  10. #10dozr2020-04-06 09:14

    they say komatsu is real close tolerance

  11. #11John C.2020-04-06 11:13

    I didn't find them to be any different in tolerances that any other engine. I've done all kinds of work on the 95, 108, 125, 140 and 170 engines in the field and in the shop from minor repairs to major bare block rebuilds. I found them to be easier to work on than any Cummins engine of the same size.

  12. #12dozr2020-04-06 12:32

    that is good to know i have one with 11000 hrs like daves thank you.

  13. #13dozr2020-04-07 06:41

    John C would you use this kit not knowing company or anything but price. thank you

  14. #14John C.2020-04-07 23:28

    I'm not sure that I would but it depends on the situation. How old is the machine? What is the condition of the rest of the machine? What do you plan to do with the entire machine for the foreseeable future. What is your financial situation? I have used aftermarket parts in the past and had both good and bad luck. When using someone other that the manufacturer for replacement parts, I tend to spend a lot more time measuring and checking the fit as they go into the base component. Some things I don't take chances on without some pretty iron clad paper to go with it. Long and short blocks, build up crankshafts, sprayed cam shafts and some of the rest of the hokey stuff that owner's being cheap will try.

  15. #15dozr2020-04-09 07:23

    i had a man that worked for a dealer say he saw one melt pistons around rings the pistons must not been heat treaded. that would be a bad day. i have allways liked to use best parts because after all they are man made at best.

  16. #16John C.2020-04-09 10:24

    That kind of failure is usually related timing or overload.

  17. #17davecampbell2020-04-11 17:37

    I was sure pleased with how easy this machine is to work on. Every wire harness had a plug, and I didn't have to use a swivel socket all day. I'm confused by the piston marking. All except #4 say S Std . 4 says L Std. Can anyone educate me on that?

  18. #18davecampbell2020-04-11 19:11

    I I pulled the throttle servo to get to the engine placard but it wasn't there. Is it possible that I have a different motor?

  19. #19davecampbell2020-04-20 23:51

    I had a bit of a struggle pulling front hub off. Even if I had known this cone was in there I would not have had the correct tool to pull it.

  20. #20davecampbell2020-04-21 10:07

    I bought a manual for my machine, but can't find torque values for rods and mains.

  21. #21davecampbell2020-07-20 22:32

    I put a kit in my turbo when I rebuilt the motor. I'm not sure if i did something wrong or got a bad part, but are acts like the seal went on the turbo tonight. I've got less than 100 hrs since I did it. I think I'll try to find a whole turbo I can bolt on.

  22. #22Ambientmech2023-04-13 09:10

    yep have the exact same machine.side of the block says mad in Japan instead of made in Japan. the engine plate was on top rocker/tappet cover. got lost between rebuild. komatsu had the engine numbers linked to the serial no though which was handy.