Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case CX36B quick coupler controls

SkyePN ยท 2024-06-12 01:28

Long time lurker first time poster... they say there's no dumb questions so here goes Just bought a Case CX36B at auction, it has an added hyd quick coupler (no branding on it) but I can't find the controls to operate it? I pulled out the locking pin and tried every button and pedal, nothing. Searched the cab for any added controls, surely it wouldn't be outside the cab? The left foot pedal doesn't seem to do anything. There's one button on the right joystick that doesn't do anything but I think it's for a disconnected horn. Toggle on right joystick operates the thumb, right pedal swings the boom. Thought I'd ask before I start taking panels off to trace the lines. Thanks in advance.

Replies7
  1. #1Kobe Steel2024-06-12 07:10

    left foot pedal might be something to look into but I wouldn't usually install a hitch on a pedal. I would typically use that for tilt bucket and plumb a hitch solenoid valve into one of the two main pumps supply ports that pressurizes when curling the bucket. let us know what you find.

  2. #2SkyePN2024-06-16 17:43

    The plot thickens. I think it's an electrical problem, lucky me. You're right, the left pedal isn't connected to anything. I traced the coupler lines back and took off the floor plate and found a loose solenoid valve with 2 wires. I applied 12v power to it and a red light came on in the connector. I can't find any controls or combos in the cab to make that light come on. Is this valve just a dual pass through safety switch or does it control flow direction by reversing polarity? Only two wires. From the upper valve the two lines down to another pair of loose solenoid valves that are plumbed into the travel lines (marked with green tape). Maybe these control coupler in/out? I can't imagine the travel controls double as coupler controls maybe it's just a convenient place to tap the pressure and return lines. More electrical and hydraulic tracing to do...

  3. #3Kobe Steel2024-06-17 05:15

    The valve with the led looks like it could be a hitch valve for a double acting hitch cylinder which would have a pressure in port, tank port, clamp port, unclamp port. Pressure input will go to the clamp port when de-energized and then switch to the unclamp when energized. If you remove the solenoid and look around the base hex of the cartridge their may be a model code which can identify the valve and help identify the ports. See example pdf attached

  4. #4SkyePN2024-06-18 20:56

    Thanks for the tip, if it's all controlled from the one hitch valve on top that makes figuring this out a lot easier. I flipped it over and it's marked DSX and the ports are P T A B presumably pressure, tank, and the two lines to the coupler. I found a diagram below for a different coupler system, if it's a typical installation then the cylinder on the coupler gets constant pressure when the machine is running to keep the coupler tight? What you need to know about fitting your new coupler and attachments Getting hosing right makes all the difference to productive use of a quick hitch or hydraulic attachments. We discuss how to get it right in this article. www.attach2.com So I think my next troubleshooting steps will be: 1. Try energizing the solenoid manually with the machine running and see if it decouples. If it does then trace the wires into the console or add a new switch & buzzer. 2. Try switching A and B lines to see if the solenoid is faulty. 3. Disconnect P line and see if it's getting flow, if not trace it back It might be a couple of weeks before I can work on it again but I'll post an update with the results.

  5. #5SkyePN2024-08-07 20:42

    Just posting a follow up. I gave the hitch solenoid 12v from a jumper pack with the hydraulics enabled and the coupler opened without any controls so it is getting constant flow same as the diagram above. Just have to wire up a switch somewhere. Thanks for the help.

  6. #6Kobe Steel2024-08-08 03:26

    No problem, glad you got it sorted. Kind regards

  7. #7NH Digger2024-08-08 08:25

    Glad you got it figured out. Always nice to see more about these machines online as there is not a whole lot of information out there about them. Your sticks sound like they are set up totally different than mine.