G'day, I've been asked to help out a friend with a Case CX60C excavator (rubber track variant). This machine has about 130 hours on it and would be maybe 2 years old. He noticed that both top rollers have seized and one has the faintest flat spot, while the other has a little more, suggesting that they didn't both go out together. Replacement rollers are not overly expensive, but there are none in the system within Australia, meaning Case also want a hefty chunk of $$$ to freight them from Japan. The rollers are removed from the machine and on initial inspection look fine (other than the 2 minor flat spots), no visible rust, no sign of damage, all paint intact and no sign of heavy dirt build up, pretty much as you'd expect for a low hour machine that gets looked after. The machine has never been pressure washed, so I think we can discount high pressure water ingress as well. My question has four parts, firstly, has anyone else experienced the same issue with their machine? Second, how do you get into these things? I can see a circlip around the shaft on both sides that possibly retains 2 end plates that align the roller, but are these rollers serviceable? Third there is a plug on one side with a hex key hole in it. Is this for lubrication purposes? Finally, is he wasting his time trying to recover these rollers? Currently my thinking is along the lines that I will try and break the rollers free using physical force on the off chance that dirt or similar has packed in somewhere it shouldn't, but I'd like some idea of what I may find before I get too gung ho in disassembling things. An exploded diagram would be magic if anybody has one. Regards Karl.
Yes there should be oil in there behind the hex plug. I would do exactly what you’re doing and see if you can get the shaft to turn with brute force.
Thanks for that. I'll give it ago tomorrow.
That machine is actually a Hyundai out of Korea. Not sure if that information helps, but maybe you have access to a Hyundai dealership if you need it. My guess with 130 hours on it and a couple years old it, you might be able to pull the track and put a pipe wrench on it and get it to turn. Its obviously not worn out, just likely stuck.