I've recently bought an attachment for my Cat 279C2 CTL, s/n KWB00715, that has a case drain line. My 2012 machine does not have a case drain connection. I have scoured the forum and found some case drain topics on other machines but nothing specific to the 279. Has anyone done it to this model? I saw a kit that ties in to a tee installed below the hydro tank breather cap but without having it in my hand, I not sure it would clear the modules underneath the cab. Installing a through wall tank fitting would be an option but I have no access to the inside of the tank. Drill, tap and JB Weld?
Don't JB Weld a hydraulic tank fitting (recipe for disaster). Hydraulic pressures (even low case drain) and vibration will break adhesive bond also Contamination risk when it fails Option 1: Breather cap tee kit (what you saw): Proper solution for low-flow case drains (<2 GPM). Kit includes tee fitting that replaces breather cap, provides case drain port. Concern about clearance under cab: Measure before ordering, but these kits are designed for tight spaces Option 2: Return line tee (alternative): Tap into existing auxiliary return line with tee fitting before it enters tank. Case drain flows to tank via existing plumbing. Requires identifying correct return line (not pressure side) Verify attachment case drain flow requirement (should be <1-2 GPM for most tools). Order breather cap tee kit: Cat or aftermarket (Northern Hydraulics, Womack Machine). Test fit before installation, if clearance issue exists, extend with short hose/pipe nipple Cat part number: Check with dealer for "auxiliary case drain kit" for 279C2 using S/N KWB00715, they'll have application-specific solution. Most attachments with case drains are designed for this exact retrofit scenario. The breather cap method is proven and widely used on CTLs without factory case drain provisions.
Yes, I'm aware of the need to identify the correct lines and such. The JB weld line was mostly sarcasm as I wouldn't use it but a lot of internet advisors "recommend" it. The kit I was looking out has become unavailable , out of stock, but I have made a list of parts to make my own and will go forward after Christmas when things are a little less hectic around here. Also, the thread on my existing cap is not standard 3/4 NPT. It took me a while to identify what it was but I now have that worked out. Thanks for the reply.