Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case excavator speed when digging?

Allyssa · 2018-08-03 11:31

I’m training for heavy equipment. I’m taking a test for the excavator. I’m gonna be making a 12 by 12 trench with a walkout. I took the test and one of the instructors told me to put my speed down, and I did. Than another instructor told me that it was to low. I was wondering what speed should you operate the excavator when you are Digging?

Replies2
  1. #1redneckracin2018-08-03 13:04

    Your engine speed? I run it WOT if I am digging hard. Diesels are made to run all day long. I want all the HP available for my production. YMMV

  2. #2Delmer2018-08-03 14:07

    If you're jerky with the controls the first instructor might have thought the slower engine speed would help you get comfortable with the controls. Ordinarily, the engine speed would be 75-100%.