Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case forklift runs, but won’t rev up

geary l oldham · 2021-12-13 21:02

older case 584c idles good but wont rev up. any advice appreciated

Replies9
  1. #1Delmer2021-12-13 21:50

    How about some history? is this a new machine to you? or do you know it ran before? when? how long has it been sitting? Is this a Stanadyne/Roosamaster rotary injection pump?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2021-12-14 04:12

    I could probably help out but we gotta know if it’s gas or diesel, what engine and what type injection pump is on it.. AND some history.. did it happen all of a sudden.?? After adding fuel.??

  3. #3geary l oldham2021-12-14 07:44

    thanks guys for the help. 584c case probably 70's or 80's model. I've had it about 10 years. diesel engine with stanodyne pump #dbgfcc43165aj. had been parked in equipment barn for some weeks, started fine, idled fine, just won't rev up. ok when parked. I don't know who built the engine unless it was case.

  4. #4Vetech632021-12-14 07:57

    I assume being that old it is a throttle cable type. Have you checked to see if the pump lever is moving when you step on the pedal?

  5. #5thepumpguysc2021-12-14 08:13

    Good thinkin V.. Yes, get it started and with the engine running, operate the throttle with your hand.. And if it has a pull cable for a shut off, make sure it’s all the way open.. Next check and change the fuel filter.. If that doesn’t change anything, it’s time to remove the pump top cover to check for a stuck metering valve.. Google mv to see what your looking at/for..

  6. #6Delmer2021-12-14 11:14

    Thepumpguy takes these apart in his sleep. I'd let it run for a few hours with the hand throttle halfway up, before pulling it apart. after you verify the pump shafts are actually turning with the controls, or it's not responding when you do turn the throttle shaft and shut off.

  7. #7crane operator2021-12-14 18:38

    Should be a case 207 engine in a older 584. The newer ones used a 4 or 6 bt. Isn't that the stanodyne pump that can lose its fiber ring inside? Plugging the return?

  8. #8thepumpguysc2021-12-15 05:15

    Yes

  9. #9geary l oldham2021-12-15 19:08

    I want everyone to know that I appreciate all the good advice. we are in the middle of a dry winter here in central texas, and soon as we get a break we'll be putting it to use. Thanks again, everybody