rebuilding one of the FEL cylinders on my Case 580E and was wondering how on the piston they got that middle seal on at the factory.It's solid.The replacement has sort of an 'S' cut in it to expand so I don't see any problem getting it on tomorrow.Just wondering. Also when I put the cylinder back on is there anything I have to do to refill it with fluid other than start operating up and down 20 or 30 times. thanks in advance!
Not sure what cylinder you're working on, and I don't understand the S cut you refer to, a piston seal should be a solid ring, no separations.
Think he's talking about the wide flat wear ring/ bearing ring on the piston On edit: I forgot to answer your questions - The factory probably heats and expands the ring Just operating the cylinder should bleed it
Maybe mitch, the bearing ring does have a split, and therefore no issue installing. But if he's talking about the piston ring, not sure what type it has, and he's working on it tomorrow. :beatsme
rickymac51 is describing the standard expanding type piston seal used by Case. The factory fitted ones are solid with no expander. So one always knows if a cylinder piston has been resealed before, depending on the type of seal fitted & if original parts have been fitted.
thanks for the pic. Right you are ALRMAN, that's exactly what it looks like. I'm new at this so you guys can learn me sumpin'.You've used terms-bearing ring-wear ring- piston ring,the piston has 3 grooves all the same width. The 2 outers are split and the middle is solid. That's why I was curious how the factory installed it. Are the outers carrying the wear load (like piston wobble) and the middle the actual seal? You guys are great, thanks.
The two outers are wear bands. They have the split because they just position the piston in the barrel and do not seal anything. In the picture is the sealing ring for the piston. I have rebuilt many cylinders and hate these type style seals as they appear to be fixing to split every time you work those on. I have not had one split yet but they are so close!!!
The cylinder we have repacked on the old 580ck had a stack of gaskets rings ect that all slide off when taking the hugh bolt out of the end of the rod. That bolt takes some serious torque to break loose. The last one we repacked had the end piece put back in backwards so the bolt head was recessed down in the cavity that was supposed to fit over the end of the rod. I had to take it to napa and they had a thin wall socket that would fit down in there to get onto the bolt head.
Thanks for the pic alrman, makes sense now.